Chapter 133 - Heart Break

One morning in October, 2000, Cynthia received a phone call at work that something terrible had happened, and she was to go straight to Josie's office. The person wouldn't tell her more than that. With her heart in her mouth, she jumped in her car and drove downtown as fast as she could. It was a beautiful sunny day, but Cynthia didn't notice the weather. When she arrived at Josie's office, she was told that her beloved had suffered a heart attack and was at St. David's Hospital. Heart attack? At forty-two-years-old? She rushed to St. David's, only to be told that Josie head been dead on arrival and in the morgue. 

Cynthia's grief was unimaginable

Cynthia's grief was unimaginable. Josie's last words to her, uttered at six am before she left for work, were about meeting at a friend's house that night for dinner. She hadn't said anything about not feeling well. In fact Cynthia, who didn't have to be at work till nine and always slept an hour later than Josie, remembered hearing her girlfriend whistle as she fed the dog and pottered about the house. And now she was dead. A coworker said that Josie had suddenly felt dizzy and put her head down on her desk. Then she told her manager she was going out for air. When she didn't return, the manager sent someone out to find her but before that person even got to the ground floor, they received word that Josie had collapsed in her car and an ambulance was on the way.

 When she didn't return, the manager sent someone out to find her but before that person even got to the ground floor, they received word that Josie had collapsed in her car and an ambulance was on the way

Josie had experienced sudden cardiac arrest. Why would such a thing happen to a healthy woman? There was no history of heart disease in Josie's family. Cynthia knew without a doubt that her beloved's death was connected to Theo and the mysterious herbs he'd been giving her. Three capsules half an hour before each meal. That was nine capsules a day and god only knew what was in them. Dust and ground up mouse droppings for all Cynthia could tell. She called Theo right away, but the doctor wouldn't talk to her. He made an appearance at Josie's funeral where he hugged Cynthia and told her how sorry he was, but he didn't attend the gathering at the house afterward. Cynthia took that as a sign of disrespect and guilt. She wanted to hit him. She wanted to punch his smug face, eviscerate him with her bare hands. She dreamed of doing those things. Instead she consulted a lawyer friend and got ready to take him to court.