Chapter 136 - Under the Cover of Darkness

Eddie may not have been new to this sort of problem. He brought along one of his henchmen, a guy named Mike with buzzed peach-colored hair and an expressionless face. There was an argument over whether Cynthia should be present for the rest of the operation. "It's my job," she insisted. "I should see it through."

"Yeah? Well, you've done enough already," Eddie said.

In the end, they wouldn't let her come with them, telling her she had to stay behind and cover up all traces of Theo's presence at the house. They rolled Theo's body into a blanket and placed it in Mike's truck which they'd driven into Cynthia's garage. Then Mike drove Theo's car back to his house, leaving it in the driveway with the key in the visor.

 Then Mike drove Theo's car back to his house, leaving it in the driveway with the key in the visor

Mike 

That was probably one of the most precarious parts of the operation. Eddie doused the headlights of the truck and waited with the engine idling until Mike slipped into the seat beside him. The street was dark, no neighbors' lights came on, no sign of anyone peeking out of bedroom windows. They drove off quietly, not turning the headlights on again till they were out of the neighborhood. 

The next part of the operation was even more precarious. They had to get rid of the body. How they accomplished this was described in detail in CD Knowles' book. Basically they drove across Austin with a corpse bouncing among the tools in the bed of the truck. Their destination was one of Eddie's building sites somewhere off I-35 between Austin and San Antonio. They parked out of sight, in a field in the back. Under the cover of darkness, they carried the body onto the property, laid it on the ground in a corner of the newly dug foundation, mixed up a batch of cement and voila! The body was buried in its own secret grave and no one was ever the wiser.

 Under the cover of darkness, they carried the body onto the property, laid it on the ground in a corner of the newly dug foundation, mixed up a batch of cement and voila! The body was buried in its own secret grave and no one was ever the wiser

Repercussions? According to CD Knowles there were very few. The disappearance of the chiropractor, Theo Dryer, caused a bit of a stir. Where had he gone with his car in the drive and no sign of a struggle or forced entry into his house? Luckily for Cynthia he had never told anyone (or noted on his calendar) where he was going that night. The whole thing remained a mystery, another alternative health practitioner vanished without explanation, possibly murdered, his memory slowly fading from the minds of friends and relatives until erased to a blur. The only one who would remember forever was Cynthia Douglas, who had indeed committed what she intended: a perfect murder.