Chapter 16.

Elizabeth's point of view.

I'm finally heading into the large house after my walk when I see a figure emerging from the doors. It began to rain a few minutes ago, cutting my walk shorter than I wanted.

"Elizabeth, hey!" The cheerful voice of Finn calls.

"Oh hey!" I reply, walking briskly over the gravel to greet him.

"I was just going to go see if you were still in the cabin! Everyone's inside because of the rain."

I jog up the steps to the door where he stands, holding it open for me. When I hear thunder ring out from behind me I race past him into the dry inside. "Looks like you found me just in time." I laugh, undoing the buttons of Finn steps behind me and helps me shrug my coat off, and we both burst into laughter when I get my hand tangled in the sleeve and he starts trying to yank it off. When it's finally off and he places it on the coat rack, I turn around, still laughing.

My eyes fall on Will, who's standing at the bottom of the stairs, seemingly staring at the two of us with distance in his eyes. He doesn't linger, instead he carries on quickly through to another room.

"So, where'd you go on your walk?" Finn asks me after my coat has been placed on the rack. We walk into the huge lounge and sit together, chatting away about the countryside and everything and anything. He's a really lively guy, sometimes to the point of being hard to keep up with, but I manage.

The next evening, Cathy has invited a couple more people. Of course, I don't know anyone, and as Charlotte is being paraded around by Colin, I

When I had arrived at the party, and Charlotte and Colin had disappeared, I headed straight into the kitchen to grab a cup. My key tip for parties is always have a drink in hand that you can sip when in awkward conversations. If someone says something weird? Take a sip. Someone asks you something you don't want to answer? Take a sip. Just genuinely bored and lonely? Pretend you're fascinated by the liquid in your cup. Most importantly, embarrass yourself? Blame it on the drink.

So, following my survival guide for parties where you don't know anyone, I headed straight for the kitchen and grabbed a cup to fill with lemonade and a drop of something else. I head back through the house into the lounge and go and sit on an empty sofa. I'm quickly joined by Finn who plops down beside me merrily.

I can tell he's slightly tipsy, and the half empty cup of beer implies it isn't his first. "Can I just say you're looking as lovely as ever." He says, grinning at me.

"Thanks, Finn." I say. "I really love this song, don't you?"

"You like oasis?" He asks, I nod. Columbia is playing in the background of the room and I tap my foot to it gently. "I knew you were cool! What else are you into?"

"Well, other than music, I love walking - as you know - and reading."

"Reading, huh? Favourite author?"

"I couldn't pick just one." I laugh and he joins me.

Will's point of view.

I stare across the room at Elizabeth whilst talks around me to the other girl on my right. It doesn't matter where I am, Catherine is always beside me, no matter how obvious I make it that I'm not interested.

Elizabeth bursts into laughter alongside my cousin, who slaps his knee enthusiastically at the joke between them. I watch her as her nose scrunches up and she tries to conceal it behind her hand, still giggling. I can't catch what Finn is saying.

"What do you think, Will?"

"Huh?" I turn to Catherine, who's head is tilted whilst she bats her eyelids. She's overdressed, as usual.