Chapter 7.

Will.

"Thank you so much for having us and for looking after Jane so well." Elizabeth says on Monday morning to Charlie. I'm eager for her to leave because she's been attracting my attention much more than I care to admit. I'm hoping with her departure that Caroline's mockery will leave too.

I've spent the whole morning avoiding Elizabeth, having realised I've clearly been a little too obvious about my admiration for her since it's all Caroline can talk about. I've resulted with the idea that from now on I have to make sure Elizabeth doesn't catch on that I find her.. appealing. I also have to make sure she continues to dislike me.

"You'll both have to come over more often." Caroline says to her, surprising me. I stand in the doorway to the dining room, observing Charlie talking quietly to Jane.

"Oh, sounds great." Elizabeth replies, sitting down on the staircase to tie her laces. "Thanks for your stimulating company."

"Anytime." Caroline says before walking over to the front door and opening it.

Elizabeth.

I finish tying my laces and jump when Nick beeps the car horn from outside. A hand falls in front of my face and I grab it subconsciously to pull myself up from the stair I'm sitting on. When I look up to meet Will's eye, he drops his hand from mine and quietly says goodbye before disappearing down the hallway. I stare after him with a confused expression on my face, watching him stretch out his hand as he walks away.

On Tuesday at school, all Beth can talk about is the upcoming school dance. They usually do one per season at our school, and each one is in order to raise money for charities or school projects.

"Jane you have to go with Charlie." She says. Usually, I'd stay out of these conversations, but I can't help but nod along with Beth. "Which means you need a date too, Lizzie. Or at least to dance with a guy there, or you'll be automatically in the 'rejected' pile of girls, whether you have been or not."

"What the hell, Beth?" I ask. "I don't care about any of this stuff-"

"Look, Lizzie. If you don't make yourself established as desirable at the start of the year, you'll never be considered it for the rest of the year." Beth coos, leaning across the table and patting my hand like a child.

I pull a disgusted face at her.

"You don't even have to do anything. Let's just say between you and me we've got it settled." She says, and draws back from me at once. I just have time to look over my shoulder to see what she's looking at when I notice Colin coming close to our lunch table.

I throw her another disgusted look before standing up to leave. I'm promptly kicked and force myself back into my chair beside Jane.

Colin slides into the seat beside Jane and introduces himself despite the fact we've been going to school together since we were children. He's never been the most... charming guy. He's not mean, he's just immature and ill-mannered.

We spend the remainder of our lunch listening to his rambles about what he's been up to recently. Just when I think he's about to be quiet, he asks:

"Do any of you know Catherine Bourgh?" I ignore his question, as does Jane. Beth however, is instantly intrigued.

"Catherine Bourgh? Of course I do! She's in my year at the grammar school, right? Isn't she, like, a model now? Do you know her?" She gushes.

"Yeah, she's a model. Her parent's own the business my father works at and we live just around the corner from them. I've actually been to their house a couple of times for dinners. Catherine is absolutely amazing."