24 hours later, andliving through the embarrassment of yesterday's situation.

"You rejected him?" Beth screeches through my phone's speakers.

"Yes. I did. Okay? I don't like him! He's weird, he's annoy-"

"He's the best shot you've got at popularity! At high school! Do you want to go to college with your V card still in tact?"

"Excuse me?!" I'm shrieking too now. "That's the last thing I'm worried about and Colin is the last guy I'd want to share that experience with! I know we're friends but my personal life has nothing to do with you - let alone my sex life!" I'm glad I'm home alone right now, or this would be an interesting conversation for my family to hear.

"Elizabeth! I'm just trying to do what's best for you! I don't want you to be a social outcast for the rest of your educational years!"

"Like dating Colin would make my situation any better?" I ask. I'm fuming. I run down stairs before I start throwing things around my room.

"You will call him as soon as this conversation ends and tell him to come over-"

"No I will not!" I yell. "He knows exactly how I feel - I slapped him! Is that not enough of a no for him?"

"He thinks you just slapped him because you're confused."

"Confused? Confused?" I question incredulously. The only thing I'm confused about are Beth's words!

"Whatever. I'm serious about this Elizabeth. If you don't at least give it a try with him, I won't speak to you ever again-"

She's cut off by what sounds like someone taking the phone off of her. "Lizzie? You there?" I hear Nick's voice ask, making me sigh with relief.

"Of course I'm here." I say.

"Don't listen to Beth. Colin is - well we know what Colin is. There's no way I'm going to let you date him, I'm not putting up with him in our friendship group. If you go out with him, that's it, I'll never speak to you again." I hear Beth creating in the background.

"Thank you, Nick." I laugh, knowing Beth can't argue with me if her boyfriend is on my side. Nick hangs up for me and I sigh with relief, heading into the kitchen and putting the kettle on. A loud knock at the front door startles me, and I wonder who it could be at seven thirty in the evening. My mother is working the late shift and my father is away for work anyway. Perhaps it's Lydia. She was supposed to be sleeping over Kitty's, but they're always falling out.

When I open the door, I'm surprised to see who is standing there.

"George?" I ask. He's facing away from me and when he turns around I see why. A cigarette hangs from his lips. When he sees the expression on my face he quickly removes it and stands on it. "I didn't have you down as a smoker." I blurt.

"Uh, yeah. Bad habit. I picked it up after everything happened." He admits shyly and I offer him an empathetic smile.

"Anyway, what brings you here?" I ask.

"Oh, I was just out walking and I just found myself coming here, to you." The coy smile on his lips makes me blush. "So are you going to invite me in or..?"

"Oh, right, sorry." I rush, blushing in embarrassment even more. I step aside and allow him in. He walks in, eyes dancing around my home. I close the door behind him.

"I was just making some tea, do you want some?"

"Uh, yeah, go on." He says, and follows me into the kitchen where I make us both a cup. "Thank you." He smiles when I hand him the steaming mug and sips it.