Chapter Six

Chapter 6:

≈Sadie P.O.V≈

   I walked off the field and headed back to the parking lot where I could hear the band getting yelled at for something they apparently screwed up. Ignoring the screaming being disposed from the top of the tower at the back of the field I continued to the clarinets spot where their instruments are and set my stuff down getting out the pocket size drill card, a paper that told me where to go during the show, heading towards the field I asked one of the sophomores which set we were at and in return I got an incredulous look and an annoyed answer of first set. Hmmm…. I thought I‘ve been gone for thirty minutes and they are still on the first set...yea….this is going to be a fun rehearsal...NOT!!! 

   Sighing I looked down at the paper and headed to the first spot of the closer. Which I never understood why we always started with the closer you would think we would start from the beginning but Mrs. Evans said we needed to give the audience something to look forward to while we continued to put together our show. Well whatever more time for me to relax because apparently this is when I’ll be doing more of the dancing aspect of it and not just playing. I would be dancing with Peter since our last piece was “A Hero’s Return” which of course would be Peter’s return and I would be the ecstatic wife waiting for him….sarcasm please insert yourself here….It’s not like I had a problem with Peter it was far from that. No what really had me not wanting to do this was because I would have to be playing a dependent women in this role...not even staying strong while he “was away” I had to act sad the entire time and one thing was for sure I didn’t act like a clinging girl that was way out of my comfort zone. I mean I’ve never even been in a relationship before so how was I supposed to know how that type of woman would act?

   Still having this internal battle with myself I went to stand in my first spot and wait to be yelled at to be corrected since apparently the drill cards weren’t always right even though that was what we were supposed to go off…? Confusing and infuriating don’t even skim the surface because if we do follow our drill cards and we turn out to be wrong and off a couple of steps we get yelled at!!! Logic behind that? I assumed there never was one and just in turn learned to deal with it keeping my mouth shut and do what I’m told but unfortunately our incoming freshmen didn’t believe considering we told them this during summer band.  Oh well not my problem yet.

   As I was standing waiting around for more instruction on whether or not we will move on my mind started to wander. I recalled how back on the football field when Mr. Pikes called over the football team, I swear he has an ulterior motive behind that but I don’t know what though.., the look the guys gave us when they spotted us on their field. Some looking like this was the first time they saw us and others annoyed with our presence considering we were the “band people” or you had the ones with a cautious look on their faces that had me chuckling to myself remembering an accident that occurred years before... I also saw my best friend sending me puzzled looks as trying to figure out why we were over here. I laughed at that considering I was in the same boat he was in about 10 minutes before they came out. But the priceless moment was when Mr. Pikes told them to get down on their knees our bend over creating the making of looking like steps. They had no idea what was going on and were hesitant at first but quickly complied when Mr. Pikes threatened them if they did not.

  During my day dream I didn’t hear my name being called and received an elbow in the ribs from one of my clarinet buddies jerking my attention to the back of the field I saw Mrs. Evans making her way to me looking quite annoyed with me so I dashed over there meeting up with her in a couple of feet. She gave me a look of “to follow” and I quickly did trying not to get into any more trouble then what I had gotten myself into. It turns out that she was taking me out of the sets since I would be dancing this whole number with a couple bars of rest for when I come to the front and play my solo. So she had me hanging with the dance team instead so I could learn my route through the band that would be taking.