12 | ACT I, SCENE XII

Start from the beginning

"Yes," I said indulgently, and we both laughed like a couple of lovesick teenagers.

It felt good, sometimes, to laugh for a while and forget about the monotonous curse of immortality. But the warmth soon faded away, as all things do, and it wasn't long before we heard a knock on the door. I opened it.

It was Amphitrite, with three baskets full of hair combs dangling from her hands.

"Edwina can't come right now, your Grace!" she murmured. "She's getting ready for the coronation ceremony, I've just started doing her hair! Olinda is helping her dress and Vanessa is busy with the makeup-" the goddess rambled on hysterically, losing her head.

"-it is important," I said.

"but she can't, your Grace, she absolutely can't, the wedding ended just two hours ago, besides she needs to eat-"

"Amphitrite," I said firmly, making her stop. "It is important. Tell your sister to come here now."

"But, your Grace-"

"Now, Amphitrite. Right now. Go and call her," I said firmly, in a tone that brooked no argument.

Amphitrite looked at me pleadingly, half her eyelid covered in bright blue eye shadow. Then she dropped her baskets and brushes and ran, her dress flying behind her.

"Timid, that one," Titania observed. "Nothing like her sister."

"They both have a good heart," I said. "But Edwina Tremayne is one of the stronger ones. She is the Queen Endollon needs."

"One of the stronger ones?" Titania snorted. "She is the only one capable of handling this crown without losing her head. Besides, imagine, do you think any other of the women might be able to hold her own and be able to rule with Eric and Tristan? What with Eric's way too sunny optimism and Tristan's acidly dreadful pessimism," she laughed, tipping back her head.

We were both very fond of the three, and were glad that we would be leaving some sensible Monarchs in our place.

"I, for one - cannot wait to see her handle all this mess." 

The door was knocked and Titania opened it. It was Eric, and Tristan, who was dressed in his dark robes, his hand resting casually on his sword's hilt.

"You called?"

"Yes. Come in," I said, opening the door further and he crossed his arms and leaned against the wall as Eric took a seat.

The door opened again and Edwina sauntered in, and we all suddenly stopped talking, taken aback.

She was already in her ceremonial robes of black and purple, with defined shoulders and a long cape that rolled on the floor. Black diamonds were scattered on every inch of the silk, shining every time she moved. Her hair was half done, with one side rolled into an elegant crown, and her eyeliner had still not dried as she glared at us angrily.

And yet she was breathtakingly beautiful.

Tristan Valmont was one lucky man.

"Yes?" she snapped. "Since I've had to endure my sister's larger than life tantrum, you'd better have a good reason for calling me!"

I had seen Tristan's eyes light up when she entered the room, and his breath had hitched as if seeing her for the first time. I chuckled. Even from here, it was not hard to see how much he wanted her. His fists curled as she sat down in front of me with a demanding look on her face, trying to ignore her new husband.

"I had to tell you something before Titania and I take the reincarnation potion and leave Endollon," I said. "We will do it right after your coronation, which is tonight."