"Sorry!" I say, scratching the back of my head. "Daiki, I hadn't realized you were here. For some reason I thought you went out." The bluenette steals what I assume is a bear claw and goes to raid the fridge.

"Out of peanut butter again." He says. "And bananas. And bread." I can sense the stares of the Akashis, and it's a bit more than awkward.

"If you want them, you can go and get them. Otherwise, wait until Wednesday." The boy raises an eyebrow before noticing our rather redheaded guests.

"Mr. and Mrs. Akashi. Seijuurou." Daiki's voice almost gives away the discomfort that I see in the twitching of his fingers.

"Do... you two live together?" Mrs. Akashi asks. I'm worried about making her angry or tainting the way she sees me, but I nod nonetheless.

"We do." I can only assume that Daiki's met them before.

"Who... which teammate of yours is this?" Mr. Akashi sounds calmer about this.

"Aomine Daiki. He's Touou's Power Forward." I say fluidly. I wonder if I should mention anything else when Seijuurou cuts in.

"Alex and Daiki have been dating a while. A month or two, I believe." He doesn't bother to confirm that with either of us. "Daiki stays here when his parents won't have him." Great, now the parental units are looking at the blue-haired wonder in concern.

I can't explain away Daiki's problems. Those are his own business, and for me to draw upon them as excuses of some kind would be like trampling across his trust. I don't offer the redheaded adults any sort of commentary. "What kind of trouble are we talking about, Aomine-kun?" They ask in falsely sugarcoated words.

The bluenette offers a chillier glance than usual. "We don't get along." He says frostily. "Differences in opinion and stuff."

I want to walk across the room and slip my fingers between his own. I want to wrap my arms around his torso. He saves me the trouble by seating himself next to me. I hold his hand as tightly as I dare.

I want my guardians to accept Daiki for the way he is. Even though I'm sure they don't approve, that they're sure to think he's a bad person for no reason, they should at least factor in Sei's connection to him, even if they disregard how tightly I'm holding his hand. "You two haven't been doing anything inappropriate, right?" Mrs. Akashi asks hesitantly.

I shake my head and shift my weight. "Nope." I answer calmly. This discussion is going to make me blush. "We have more common sense than that." Should I wonder if they approve of Daiki? I've never wondered about that sort of thing before. If he makes me happy, I don't need anyone's approval. I just hope Daiki doesn't snicker.

My new mother opens her mouth to no doubt embarrass me when the door slams open. "Hai-chan! I heard you came back with pastries!" squeals Satsuki. My eyes widen with surprise.

"Satsu-" My would-be greeting is cut off by a very tight embrace, most of which is cleavage. I try not to suffocate.

"Do you have any elephant ears? Or cake? The cherry ones you guys make are so sweet!" My face is turning red, and I can't make any noise to stop her. I tap her arm quickly. It's become ridiculously hard to breath. She relinquishes me as quickly as what appears to be possible for her.

"Cherry cake. One slice. Two elephant ears." I croak, moving to get some water. "Take what you want." The water moves down my throat sluggishly.

"On a different note," Sei says smoothly, "don't play in the Touou-Seirin match." I instantly start choking on water, my eyes widening rapidly. This again?

"What?" I cough out, trying to catch my breath. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me." Sei's voice is flat and firm.