02// a broken promise

Start from the beginning

She slowly brought her small hands to her attention, holding them out in front of her eyes. They were shaking uncontrollably but thankfully hadn't looked like she just strangled the life out of someone. It was just a dream.

She took a deep breath before throwing her head back onto the abundance of pillows beneath her, but she dared not shut her eyes to go back to sleep.

Along with the sudden episodes of panic attacks, for the past couple of weeks, she had been having dreams every now and then, all of them including her walking through a forest at night. With each and every time the dream visited her, it felt as if she was getting closer and closer to something. But it was the first time that she had seen and killed someone. And that someone was her mother.

The dream felt so real that if Teddy hadn't caught a whiff of the delicious smelling scent that was coming from the kitchen, she would have believed that her mother was actually rotting away in the forest somewhere.

Shaking the gruesome image from her mind, she decided to brush off the chill in her spine and get dressed for school.

Ten minutes later she was entering the kitchen with a large gray Bruins overhead hoodie that she purchased from the thrift shop some days ago, and another pair of skinny jeans. As she spotted her mom doing the finishing touches on breakfast, Teddy couldn't help but feel a wave of relief wash over her.

Theresa Bryard looked like a darker version of Teddy though with a lot more curves and kinkier hair. She also had an overall much more approachable aura. Her motherly smile welcomed anyone in her direction. Her dazzling personality attracted the hearts of many. Teddy believed she was nothing like her.

"Oh, Teddy!" She exclaimed as she placed a finished plate on the counter. "I was just about to wonder if you were playing hooky."

Teddy gave off a dry chuckle as she stuffed her hands into her sweater pockets. "I think in order to play hooky you would have to have something way more exciting than school to participate in."

Theresa gave her daughter a knowing look before finishing pouring them both a glass of orange juice. "Okay Missy, I forgot that you claim to have a boring a life. Anyways, I'm gonna be working until eleven tonight, so you could either wait up for me and I'll bring back some dinner, or you can cook something yourself."

"Well actually, I might be a little busy tonight," Teddy responded as she stood against the counter and began to dig into her breakfast. Their kitchen was too small to fit a table.

"Really?" Theresa's eyes shot up as she copied her daughter's gestures. "Liliana didn't let me know you two were doing anything tonight."

"Because it's not Liliana this time," Teddy explained.

Theresa paused in taking a bite out of the masterpiece that was her golden eggs, tilting her head sideways to peer at her daughter. "Oh? Then what's happening?"

"Um," Teddy began as she tucked a curl behind her ear. She wasn't sure how her mother would take this information. "Well, a couple days ago I was assigned to pair up with Stiles for this Chemistry project, and I wanted to get it out of the way tonight."

"Stiles?" Her mom repeated as if she had never heard the name before. "Stiles, as in the Sheriff's son Stiles? As in the Stilinski's who live right next to us Stiles?"

Teddy snorted. "I'm not sure there's anyone else that calls himself Stiles in Beacon Hills. Or the world, actually."

"Alright, alright, no need for sass miss." Theresa retorted as she took a bite out of her toast. "I'm just surprised that's all. You and Stiles haven't talked in awhile so for you to be hanging out with him...I mean I'm glad you're starting to rekindle your friendship. You guys always seemed like you would be good friends."