Chapter One

"Alrighty, class," my teacher, Mrs. Mabel M., said, clapping her hands together. She was wearing her green and purple dress and purple shoes and had her brown hair in a bun. "I hope that all of you are excited because today is Show and Tell!"

All of my classmates cheered. Everyone was excited for Show and Tell.

Everyone except me.

I just sat at my desk, frowning and my arms crossed. I do not like Show and Tell. In fact, I loathe it.

First of all, this was middle school, and I do not think that the big kids do Show and Tell anymore. Second of all, whatever I bring to Show and Tell, my classmates laugh at me.

And what do I bring?

Anything that is monster related.

From books to movies to having a collection, I am pretty much a monster expert. I know every monster's strength and weakness. In my opinion, I think that is an accomplishment. I am actually doing something useful with my time.

But not according to my classmates.

They keep telling me how obsessed that I am with monsters and that I do not have a life.

Let me tell you something. I am NOT obsessed with monsters. I just prefer them over humans. The reason? I feel that humans are the real monsters, and monsters are just unique creatures. Plus, if you have ever been bullied by humans, you would probably agree with me.

"Who would like to go first?" Mrs. M. asked the class. She took her glasses off and examined them, seeing if there were any dust or dirt on them, and then put them back on.

Everyone instantly shot their hands up into the air. Some were even jumping up and down.

"Ooh! Me!" one student called out.

"No, me!" yelled another.

I was still sitting at my desk and slowly put my head down. "Do not let Mrs. M. notice me," I prayed. "Let her forget about me just for today."

Mrs. M. surveyed the classroom, thinking who to pick first. "Hmm. How about you, Margie?"

I suddenly sat up straight when I heard my name. "W-what?" I managed to choke out.

Mrs. M. smiled. "Margie, would you like to go first?" she asked.

My hands started to quiver. I wanted to shake my head and say no, but all of my classmates were already staring at me.

A boy who was sitting in the back of the classroom sneered at me. "Are you a chicken?" he spoke up. I ignored him.

"She must be a chicken for someone who is afraid of humans!" a girl who was sitting in the front of the classroom exclaimed. Everybody laughed.

Everybody except Mrs. M. and I.

She frowned and clapped her hands again. "Students, we do not make fun of our classmates," she said in a serious tone. "We are all different in our own way. That is what makes each of us special." She put her hands on her hips. "Now, if I catch another person that is picking on Margie, he or she will be sent to the principal's office."

I slightly smiled at Mrs. M. I admit that for a teacher, Mrs. M. is the nicest teacher in my entire school. She sticks up for me when I feel like I cannot. She and I even have the same interest.

We both love monsters!

"Margie, if you do not want to go first—" Mrs. M. began.

"N-no," I said, my hands still quivering. "I will go first."

I decided that if I had to go, it would be now or later.

I wish I had to go never.

I got up from my seat and pulled out an object that was covered by a blanket from under my desk, and then I went up to the front of the class. My classmates started snickering, but I completely ignored them.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I began. "Today, I am here to show you something that was passed down to me by my ancestors. What I am holding is a weapon, but do not worry. It cannot work, for it is very old and was used a lot."

I quickly pulled away the blanket, revealing a crossbow.

Everyone was shocked at what was in my hands. Even Mrs. M.

"Oh my goodness!" the same boy who called me a chicken earlier exclaimed. "She has a deadly weapon! She is going to kill us all!"

"Hush!" Mrs. M. snapped. "Margie would never do that."

"Yes, she would!" the same girl who said that I was afraid of humans earlier screamed. "She hates humans! She wants to kill humans, even though that she is a human herself!"

"That is enough!" Mrs. M. yelled. She had run out of patience. She looked at me. "Is that crossbow going to be a hazard, Margie?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Oh, no," I said. "Like I stated before, it no longer works because it was used so much. Plus—"

Before I could finish explaining, an arrow that was already on the crossbow shot out and started going around the classroom. Everybody immediately got under their desks, and Mrs. M. and I were under her desk.

"I thought that you said that crossbow does not work anymore," Mrs. M. whispered to me.

My face went pale. I was so embarrassed. I could not find the urge to speak.

"And why was there an arrow that was already on the crossbow?" she asked.

Finally, I spoke. "The arrow was stuck."