Chapter 23 (I Will Be Here)

Teen Titans Universe

Gotham City
Gotham City Bay
Abandoned Warehouse

A huge explosion erupted causing the warehouse to be up in flames. A figure can be seen carrying someone over its back, running out the burning warehouse. The figure was wearing a red helmet and brown leather jacket over his armored suit. The figure being carried on his back was a boy in his early teens. He was wearing a costume, red and black as the main color scheme with some yellows in the design.

A dark black figure runs toward the two. As soon as the black figure reaches the two survivors, the man with the red helmet collapsed. The black figure quickly catches the two, support the two, he hugs them tight. "I'm so glad you're alive." A tear ran down the under the black cowl of the black figure.

GOTHAM CITY
WAYNE MANOR

"How are they, Alfred?" The master of the manor asks his butler.

The British butler answers. " Young Master Jason and Young Master Tim are both fine, Master Bruce." He explain the conditions of the two wards. "Young Master Jason has few first degree burns that will easily be healed. He has just collapsed from exhaustion, with rest he will soon be up and running again, Sir. As for Young Master Tim, he has a small concussion but will heal in about few weeks. He has inhaled some of the smoke from the explosion. He would be wearing the oxygen mask for a while, Sir."

Bruce sighed in relief that his two sons conditions were not life threatening. But he still frustrated with himself that he couldn't arrive earlier to save them or stop the explosions from happening. "Damn it. What were Jason and Tim doing at that warehouse?" He didn't know why his two sons were there or how the explosion happened.

"Sir, I believe you should ask the boys after they wake up." The butler answers.

Bruce nodded. "Right."

The butler bow. "Excuse me, Sir, but I must return to my duties. The manor will not clean itself, Sir."

Bruce chuckles. "Yeah, thanks Alfred. I will stay here and look over the boys a little longer."

The butler bows one last time before leaving the master of the manor in he middle of the hallway. Two doors that was across each other were open, revealing two boys in their respective rooms. Both boys were resting on their bed.

Looking at his boys, Bruce remembers a song his mother used to sing to him. He wished that his oldest son, Dick, was still here with him. He regretted all the stupid things he did to his son. He should have listened to him. He should have done more for his beloved son. He should have hugged him more, kissed him more, expressed his love more. He could have done more..... He wouldn't have lose his son. He should have learned after what has happened to Jason. And now unlike Jason, there is no body to bring back to life, so there is no knowing if Dick is still alive or not.

Tears ran down his cheeks, he starts to hum the tune of the song. He become engrossed to the memory he starts to sing.

Tomorrow mornin' if you wake up
And the sun does not appear
I...I will be here
If in the dark we lose sight of love
Hold my hand and have no fear
'Cause I...I will be here
I will be here
When you feel like bein' quiet
When you need to speak your mind
I will listen

And I will be here
When the laughter turns to cryin'
Through the winnin' and losin' and tryin'
We'll be together
'Cause I will be here

Tomorrow mornin' if you wake up
And the future is unclear
I...I'll be here
Just as sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
I...I will be here

I will be here
You can cry on my shoulder
When the mirror tells us we're older
I will hold you

And I will be here
To watch you grow in beauty
And tell you all the things you are to me
I will be here

I will be true
To the promise I have made
To you and to the
One who gave you to me

I...I will be here
And just as sure as seasons are made for change
Our lifetimes are made for years
'Cause I...
I will be here....
We'll be together, forever

'Cause I will be here
I will be here

He swears that this time for his oldest beloved son, he will be there for his remaining family.