Chapter Two | Falling

6 Months Ago
October 21 ~ Fall Equinox

     OPENING THE DOOR, I came face to face with the grinning face of Caden Smith.

I was struck once again by how gorgeous he was. He had on nothing but a black tee which fitted his form perfectly, indicating just how muscular and athletic he was.

My eyes caught on the black swirls and ink that were etched on his skin. Tattoos. Many of them. Up both arms, swirling on the surface of his skin in whorls of ink etched exquisitely in a veneer of hidden truths and connotations before disappearing beneath the sleeves of his shirt. They weren't congested on his skin too much that appeared raucous, but just enough to roughen up his exterior.

     I wanted to know them, trace them, learn them in a way that nobody ever has before.

The thought struck me and had me appalled at myself for thinking such impossible, not to mention inappropriate, conjectures.

Although the tattoos were eye-catching, the feature captured me the most was his eyes— eyes that seemed green the other day which now appeared to be brown. Hazel eyes, I realized. Caden had the most beautiful set of hazel eyes and he was looking at me with that piercing gaze of his that almost had me melting on the spot.

I rubbed my arms idly, insecurities gnawing at my very soul as I once again asked myself, but why me when he could have all the girls out there? Because who wouldn't want a guy like him? He was perfect: charming, optimistic and undeniably handsome.

"Hey, love." Caden greeted softly, eyes taking in my form swathed in a blue dress overlapped with a creme sweater, feet enclosed in brown boots. It was simple and nothing special but the way Caden was looking at me told me otherwise.

My cheeks began heating up in a shade of red darker and my hair once again fell over my face in embarrassment. Why was he looking at me like that? Not to mention that he called me love.

I began fidgeting in my soles as I replied with a shy,"Hi. H-how did you know where I'd be? I was kind of, um, wondering the whole week..." I trailed off awkwardly.

He smiled cheekily,"Well, someone's looking forward to this date."

Again, my cheeks heated up and I swore silently. "No—it's not that. I was just—"

He chuckled,"I get it, love. I was just messing with you." He then answered my question, stepping back into the hall to let me out as I turned and locked the dorm room. "Your roommate—Chloe, was it?— Her boyfriend's a friend of mine, he told me what room you'd be."

I nodded and began wondering on where exactly we were going. Growing up raised by strict parents, I never went on dates too much; hence, my awkwardness and gaucheness. Sure, there'd be times where I went on a date or two but they weren't serious and were always very uncomfortable for me. These were all during my early high school years which, even then, were very rare for me. Those were the last times that I had dated and I had sworn off relationships the moment I had stepped into college. That was fine for it wasn't like anyone would take an interest in me anyway.

I had avoided social interactions in my whole college years and had never been to fraternity parties of any sort. I was completely contented in staying in my dorm room during the weekend. In fact, there was only one friend that I had, the rest were acquaintances or strangers. Chloe was my only close friend—well, as close as we can get anyway, for we were polar opposites. She was wild and confident while I... was socially inept. She would introduce me to her friends who all seemed friendly but I didn't have it in me to actually hang out with them. Then she would drag me to parties and I would adamantly stand my ground and she had long since given up on convincing me. Basically, it was only Chloe who I had been close enough with which leads me to the question of what Caden Smith could possibly want with me.