Chapter Seven | Loving You

Present
March 28 ~ Spring Equinox

      I BOUNDED UP the staircase of the dorm building, pulling my coat snugly to my form in hopes of gaining heat and relief in this cold and chilly night.

     My shoulders were slumped as I retreated more into myself. I tugged the beanie over my hair as I focused on my feet, trying to be hidden and unnoticed despite the fact that I was one of the few civilians present at the street in this time of the night.

     As I was about to ascend another flight of stairs, a resident in the dorm building was dashing down the steps and nearly toppled me over. I shrank to the corner of the sparse area of the landing, making sure that I stayed out of the person's way as he disappeared out of my view with only the fading sound of the footsteps he left behind.

     I blew out a breath and waited for a brief moment before continuing my way up the steps.

     When I finally reached my floor, I tucked my hands into my coat, dangling the keys as I nervously fidgeted with it inside the pocket, wanting more than anything to slip inside my room and safely tuck myself in bed in hopes that by tomorrow, this heartache will dissolve.

      I stared at the floor, watching my feet pad softly against the carpeted marble. It was to my body's own accord when I came to a halt upon the third door to my right. Considering the number of months that I came to live here, I didn't have to look up to see which door my room belonged to. My peripheral view and instinct was enough for me to know that I was indeed at the right room.

I had memorized every detail of this very hallway- from every crack of the polished mahogany doors and specks that marked the glistening marble floor swathed with rich burgundy carpeting to the minuscule and hardly noticeable fissures that could only be seen through thorough perceiving of the ivory walls and the glaring ceiling lined with bright lighting of bulbs that illuminated the place.

The queer and extremely off thing though, is the familiar pair of black boots situated just below the door frame of my room.

Dread and anxiety pounded through my veins as slowly, my eyes traveled from the shoes to the dark jeans, further up the plain white shirt and the black leather jacket, finally resting to a stop at the face of the guy I once called home.

My blue eyes went clashing with his striking green ones, and I drew in a sharp breath at the comforting and familiar presence of Caden.

"Jules," He breathed, suddenly up and alert from his previous position on the floor.

I averted my eyes and took a step back. I didn't want to be near him right now, I just wanted to go home.

I trained my eyes on the floor, suddenly uncomfortable from his intense gaze. My insecurities were once again sizzling my skin as I tried to put much distance between us as I could.

Why am I always not enough?

I timidly picked on my nails from anxiety, nearly tearing up the skin as I asked him in almost a whisper,"What are you doing here?"

Before I could comprehend what was going on, he was halfway through the hallway and had me in his tight and warm embrace. My face was pressed against his chest with his arms around my smaller form. "Where had you gone?"