Chapter 26: A Study Party

Magsimula sa umpisa

I must've been waiting for about twenty minutes, playing some stupid game on my phone to pass the time. After only a few weeks, I still hated being in a cast. It just restricted me from so much in my day to day life.

Anyway, I was leaned up against his pick up truck until finally I saw him. He looked upset as he walked through the parking lot, running a hand through his damp hair. He spotted me in front of his truck with an over exaggerated wave. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Please don't talk about that game. I know we sucked." He says right as he reaches me.

"It wasn't that bad." I lie for his sake. He unlocks the door, so I get in awkwardly, since the truck was so high up from the ground.

He turns on the car and the radio starts, some country music-type song. Oh my god. Is this the kind of music he listened to?

He turns the volume down, turning to me. "It was bad." He says. "I don't know. It sucks. I thought this was a winning team, that's what Braden said." He tells me, beginning to drive.

"The team hasn't been the best lately." I say truthfully.

"Is it because you're not playing?" He asks me, moving his hand to rest on my leg. Woah. Thank god I'm a person who assumes the best of everyone and believes that was just a friendly gesture.

"I'm not really good." I say honestly. "Losing me was probably better for the team." I say.

He sighs, like he's upset by what I said. "Don't say that."

"Hockey isn't my best... thing." I say, feeling like I was having trouble speaking.

"What is? Math?" He jokes, sending me a smile.

"Believe it or not, math isn't my best subject." I tell him.

"God, so you're smart in other stuff, too?!" He jokes with a laugh.

The rest of the ride's like this, joking about everyday stuff with the country station still playing in the background. To be honest, I never would've taken him as a country kind of guy. I guess you learn new things about people all the time.

Cam unlocks the door to his house once we get there, with nobody home, just like he said. His house is surprisingly warm for the season, so he suggests we set up camp in the basement. He has a table in the basement that he sets his textbook and such on, pulling up two chairs. We both sit down as I look around his beautifully decorated basement.

My eyes fall on the huge booze collection in the glass cabinets. "Quite a collection." I comment. His eyes follow mine to the cabinet.

"Huh? Oh, that." He laughs. "Let's take a celebratory shot!"

"A celebratory what?" My eyes widen.

He gets up, walking over to the cabinet. "A shot. To celebrate my mark." He says like it's obvious. He takes out a big bottle and two small glasses from the cabinet, closing the door. "You down?"

"Uh, sure I guess." I say. "Why don't you get us bigger cups?"

He looks at me as if I had two heads. "Because these are shot glasses." He pours the liquid into both cups. "Have you... never taken a shot?" He chuckles, bringing the cups over.

"No." I say awkwardly. "I've only gotten drunk once, it was at my uncle's fiftieth off of wine and beer." I say.

He smiles, coming to sit next to me. "Then this should be fun." He places the cup in my hand. "You kinda tilt your head back, and pour the drink into your mouth, all at once. You ready?"