Complications

The apes not with Caesar's search party had amassed in the community circle awaiting the return of their leader and his heir, yet when Caesar returned empty-handed, all demanded answers and many were flat out furious.

"You let him go!"

"He almost killed Oliver!"

"He needs to be punished!"

The screams and howls surrounded Caesar like a vice, driving his already flustered emotions to a head, "ENOUGH!"

The apes quieted obediently, though many still kept a frustrated air to their eyes.

Maurice was the first to take advantage of Caesar's forced silence. "Caesar," his green eyes focused intently on Caesar as he stood above the other apes, "I, and others, are worried about your decision to allow Blue Eyes to leave."

Caesar grunted at the orangutan angrily, "My decision is final. I thought you would agree with this, Maurice?" He couldn't believe what he saw. Even his most trusted friend seemed to be on the other side.

Maurice's eyebrows furrowed in troubled concern, "It is not that I do not support you, but he should never have left alone. 'Apes together strong.'"

Caesar sighed. Maurice was right as usual. Blue Eyes could've found help with his fellow apes if some had left with him, but, no matter how many times he mulled it over, he felt in his heart that leaving alone was what his son truly needed. Blue Eyes was not a child anymore, and though as Caesar he had the power to make him stay, as his father he had to learn to let his son make his own choices, however wrong or right they may be. Facing the repercussions of your choices was just one of the many hardships a future leader had to endure.

"'Apes together strong,'" Caesar signed with a nod, "But an ape must learn to stand alone before he can lead others."

Maurice took in what he said then nodded. Though his words went against one of the soul desires of all apes, the orangutan seemed to understand why Caesar felt the need to say them.

Rocket was less accepting of Caesar's words as his growling snort showed, but his loyalty in their leader was clearly stronger than his personal feelings, "If you feel this is for the best," he signed and grunted decisively, "I will follow you."

Caesar smiled down at his thin-haired friend and took his forearm in respect. Rocket proudly returned his gesture with a chesty grunt and a squeeze of his hand.

When they released each other's hands, Caesar rose to his full height to address the others.

"Apes!" he yelled to them, turning any eyes that had strayed back to him quickly, "My son left...to protect...apes! Showed strength! We will respect...his choice...and welcome...his return!"

Rocket was the first to start hooting in agreement and slowly spurned the crowd of black and red fur below Caesar to join in together. Though he still felt a veil of anger over many below him, Caesar puffed out his chest in proud authority, quieted them down with a raised hand, and took his leave, climbing up the redwood that held his home.

His mood became lighter as he climbed, but the second he met Cornelia's distant, red eyes, his heart fell into his stomach. He quickly reached for her and she fell into his arms, crying like she was mourning over a lost life. It felt like they had lost a life. It felt like a piece of his heart had been burned out of his chest never to heal again. He felt this type of loss only once before in his life. When had led Malcolm, Ellie, and Alexander to his old home, he found that his father, Will Rodman, had been taken by the sickness that plagued the humans. He didn't know why, but he felt responsible for his death. It was a darkness in the back of his mind that came to him often in his dreams and thoughts. This same darkness shaded him now. He felt like he was the cause of his son's behavior, like somehow he was what had driven Blue Eyes away. Cornelia sensed his sorrow and held him tighter, then...he wept...