One.

She knew what she had signed up for when she voluntarily offered her services as a nurse during the War.

She had been shot at, had bombs dropped on her. Had the unimaginable happen to her and yet here she was. Still standing.

Well, barely.

She and another nurse Dorothy had been asked to accompany a brigade into the town of Dunkirk, to search and bring back any injured soldiers to the beach, wherever the beach was, where they would be evacuated and taken back to Britain.

They hadn't expected to be confronted with the German's. Nor had they expected the men who were with them, protecting them to be picked off as easily as they had been.

Now, here they were, running through the ruins of the once picturesque town, being followed by the enemy. The only sound that could be heard over their laboured breathing, was the sound of their  heels clicking on the road surface beneath them.

Beside her, Dorothy was struggling. She was older and had a bad leg from where she had been grazed by a bullet a little further back.

"Come on," Elizabeth gasped, grabbing her hand, "We have to keep going ."

"They'll just find us," Dorothy shook her head, "You go. I'm just slowing you down."

"I'm not leaving you." she said fiercely, desperately looking around for somewhere where they could hide, even just for a couple of minutes to get their breath back before they tried to find their way back to the regiment that was on the outskirts of town but with no guns or anything to protect themselves, the chances of them getting there had been dramatically slashed.

"Elizabeth," Dorothy whispered, pointing to a closed gate that was at the end of the cobbled street and Elizabeth grabbed her hand again to pull her towards it.

"We'll be fine behind there," she said, unlatching it while looking over her shoulder to see that the coast was clear, "They haven't seen us."

Dorothy moved to sit down against the house that the garden belonged to while she closed the gate, hearing the shouts of the German men who were chasing them and she crossed the small area to her friend, lifting her dress slightly to get a look at the wound.

"It's okay," Elizabeth nodded, "Just a graze."

"It's still bloody painful though." Dorothy hissed through clenched teeth.

"Sorry." she smiled, "But listen, we have to keep going. We have to be close now, we-"

She stopped when the older woman placed her hand over her mouth, finger raised to her mouth as there was another spray of gunfire from somewhere around them.

"Let's go," Dorothy nodded, getting up from her spot and the two women started heading for the gate to take them back out into the danger, stopping when they heard the sound of approaching footsteps.

"Oh god," Dorothy whispered, "It's them, isn't it? We're done for."

"Quiet," Elizabeth hushed.

Seconds later,a gun was thrown over the top of the gate and the younger of the two darted forward to pick the weapon up.

"What are you doing?" Dorothy asks, eying her warily, "You don't know how to shoot!"

Elizabeth pointed it to the gate, giving her an innocent shrug, "Can't be that hard, right?"

Her friend quickly tucked herself behind her as a figure clambered over the gate, narrowly being missed by a spray of bullets which thankfully the wood managed to stop and Elizabeth realised that she was trembling as she pointed the gun at him.