0 - The Birth

Prolouge

Her motherly instincts gripped her with a force stronger than her angriest flames. The egg, a large, blue glittering vessel of life, would soon break and reveal her baby. The dragon pushed it with her nose, a hum of satisfaction lifting the scales on her back. Her child's heart thumped against the edge of its shell. He was alive, full of fire! The fates cried to her heart, tugging on her magic's mind deep in her chest. He would be a powerful, deadly dragon!

She skipped in delight around her nest of straw and skins, knocking the carefully placed furs and leaves. Her reckless movements sent piles of gold crashing to the stone floor. The noise echoed through the large cave My child!  she crowed. My child, my Chua!  She breathed her excitement. Fire licked at the edges of the egg, coaxing the little dragon to the world. Only the hottest heat was worthy for her baby. Stalks of straw held her light, dull in the cave.

A roar filled her ears and shook the ground. Nilakanta!  Her mind crossed the sky and brushed against her mate's. His wide conscious wrapped around her own.

Ethelendi. I come soon, my red beauty . She answered his call with a yell of her own, leaping out of the cave. Outside, the sun turned the miles of tall grass into tough, dry stalks, the same that gave their floor a soft padding. The talls grasses brushed against each other in the wind and, with the rush of the river, created a soothing backdrop. She could roll in the sound and delight in the sun, and often did.

Nilakanta soared over the mountains that enclosed their home in a large crescent. His broad blue chest gleamed and he descended. Flames sprouted from his mouth. My son! My love!  The tall grass flattened in the gust of his landing, and his large talons gouged the ground. He charged past Ethelendi, nipping her neck in greeting, and into their home.

Eth!  The red dragon sat opposite the blue one. Humming filled the cave, expanding from deep in their bellies; their scales rose in anticipation. They bumped heads, breathed, and together let a stream of fire at the egg. Their love turned the flame blue. The delicate vessel soaked the heat into its shell. Look at what he can handle!

He might be bigger than you!  she teased.

Snap!  A split broke the shell in half. They stopped their flame, watching as their son pushed open the egg and clawed his way out. Deep blue and delicate, he was the most beautiful creature Nilakanta and Ethelendi had ever seen. 

His father bent down, blowing gently into the baby's face. I name you Chua.

Chua stood on his hind legs, peeled open his eyes, and cried victory at his birth.