"Hello?"

It's funny how one word can have the power to deflate any and all hope you had for something you were un-admittedly yearning for.

Saying nothing, I stay on the line, waiting for the person's identity to be revealed.

"Listen here you scumbag - I don't want any part in the sick little games-"

"Maxie?" I question, recognising her voice.

"Oh my God, you scared me there, Ivory," she laughs, and I literally hear the sigh of relief.

"You too, Maxine," I reply back, taunting her in return for calling me by my full name.

"Yeah, let's not play this game," she replies. "But I wanted to call you to ask you to an event tonight. Interested?"

"I don't know..." I reply, not sounding overly sure of my decision. "What kind of event?"

Sighing, she answers, slightly frustrated by my half hearted response.

"Oh, I don't know. Some rich bítch is promoting her perfume range or skincare line. Who even fücking cares, but there's going to be free booze. Come with - you owe me for bailing on me last night."

"You had me at free booze," I laugh. "Where is it by the way?"

"A little club called Mahiki over in Mayfair. Surely you must've heard of it."

"Yeah, it rings a bell," I admit. "So shall we meet there?"

"No, I'll come to your house before hand, so text me your address bítch!"

With that she hangs up, leaving me to process if that conversation even happened. I sit here in my half asleep daze, fumbling over the phone keyboard as I type out my address.

As I hit send, a sense of inexplicable dread runs through my body, and something inside of me urges me to decline. I almost rattle my brain, thinking of a reason for me not to attend, but shake the feelings off.

No, it'll be good to get out of the house.

"Where do you keep your vodka?" Maxie calls out, as I brush my teeth, careful not to smudge my lipstick

I reply, but the words that come out of my mouth are unintelligible while my mouth is full of toothpaste.

The sound of her heels giving her away that she's approaching, she gives me a funny look.

"Yeah, I'm going to need you to repeat that again," she laughs.

Spitting the toothpaste into the sink, I answer.

"Freezer," I answer, fixing my lipstick with the corner of my pinky finger.

There's some bustling sounds of her as bumbles around in the freezer.

"Got it!" she announces. "How many shots are we starting out with?"