Sixty-Five

Apologies for the late update! Life sometimes gets in the way of things, but just know that I will never abandon this story. Love you all x

"And I've been a fool and I've been blind. I can never leave the past behind, I can see no way, I can see no way"

 I can never leave the past behind, I can see no way, I can see no way"

Running barefoot back to the house, I almost slip on a part of the decking, my wet feet the cause

Running barefoot back to the house, I almost slip on a part of the decking, my wet feet the cause. I'm dripping from head to toe, but it brings me a great sense of nostalgia of memories from my childhood. My childhood where we would spend all day in the river, spending so long in the water that our fingers became prune-like, and our skin burnt red from lack of sunscreen.

Sliding the back door open as quietly as I can, I'm face to face with Lucy, who opens her mouth slightly in shock.

"Shh," I mouth, giggling. The last thing I need is for my mum to be on the scene, complaining about me bringing my wet feet muddled with grass and dirt.

Smiling, she shakes her head in disappointment, and goes into the lounge room, striking up a conversation with my mother, keeping her away from the scene of the crime.

Tip-toeing back to my bedroom, I undress with a sense of purpose, hurriedly changing out of my bathers and into some dry clothes, whilst rubbing a towel haphazardly over my body to dry off. Taking the same towel, I use my feet to drag it along the wooden floorboards, mopping up the trail of water - but too late.

"Ivory!" I hear my name being called.

Cringing, I tense my body, and pop my head around the corner to see her.

"You called?" I reply, hoping not to annoy her anymore than I have done.

"What's all this?" she scolds, annoyed with the mess I've brought in.

"I know, I know," I answer, rolling my eyes. "I'm cleaning it now."

Tutting, she shakes her head.

"Well hurry up, dinner's ready in the dining room," she informs me, turning on her heels.

Very carefully I clean up the remnants of my swim, and join my family who are already seated at the table, waiting for me.