Thirty

"If you loved me, I'll make you a star in my universe..."

Running

Running. I've forgotten how much I like to run. One foot in front of the other. Simple. I don't even have to be going anywhere, but it feels so good to escape your thoughts, even if it's just for a few moments. The feeling of clarity afterwards is also why I like to run. Why did I ever stop? I almost feel as though each and every day I take back a piece of me that I've lost.

"Ess," I hear, almost frightening me half to death as I'm brought out of the zone, and back into the gym at my apartment complex. I quickly jump and place both of my feet on either side of the treadmill, lowering the speed to zero.

"You scared me, Alf," I admit, trying to regain my breath.

"I do have that effect on most women," he replies cheekily, walking over to the side of my treadmill, holding his hand out for me to take.

He attempts to pull me in, against his body, but I pull back.

"Alfie, I'm actually so sweaty," I warn, keeping my distance.

"I don't mind a bit of sweat," he shrugs, and I relent, letting him embrace me in a giant bear hug, while I wrap my arms around his shoulders. I've almost forgotten how tall he actually is.

He looks down at me for a moment, analysing me until I break into laughter.

"What?" I ask, self-conscious.

"You really are an eyesore," he replies in wonderment, embarrassing me. Rolling my eyes, I go to walk away before he takes my hand, pulling me back to him.

"You don't just get to walk away from me so easily," he tells me, and I feel the heavy sense of meaning behind his words. I want him to know that I have no intention of doing so, but I remain silent as 'Something' plays in the background.

"I've always loved this song," he muses.

"I'm not really a fan of The Beatles, but it is a very lovely song," I agree.

"Trust you not to be a fan of one of the greatest musical groups of all time," he laughs, shaking his head, before we're interrupted.

The song finishes, and Radio 1 presenter's voice fills the room.