Chapter 12

Dedicated to SamSykesTW for being super nice and for being my 90210 (and hopefully Reign, too) buddy! Hope you like this! :)

Say hi to Noah Radke, guys! :D Check out his picture at the side. :)

Chapter 12

"Ready?" Ian asked as he watched me put my seatbelt on. After our little breakfast by the lake, he towed me back to the house, grabbed the folder with all the files we needed and a map.

"This is as ready as I will ever be," I said. I couldn't deny that I was excited. I also couldn't deny that I wanted to throw up, partly because I was scared Ian would call of the search if I threw up in his fancy car.

"So tell me something nobody knows," he challenged. I realized that we've been in the car for almost an hour now, and that we've been quiet the whole time.

"You're rude and mean," I teased.

"Everyone seems to notice but me," he said, furrowing his eyebrows and feigning offense. I laughed in response, feeling a bit better.

"Then I guess people don't know you could be charming and a gentleman whenever you wish to be one," I said, admitting defeat.

"That's more like it," he said, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. He smiled and slightly cocked his head to look at me. "But seriously, tell me something you haven't told anyone.'

"I hate pizza," I said after a while.

"What? That's a joke." His expression was a mix of disbelief and amusement.

"No, I'm serious!" I said, slapping his arm and pushing him slightly.

"Alright, alright. How come?"

"Because I had pizza the night my parents died," I said. It was barely a whisper, but he heard it loud and clear. His expression changed drastically, from amusement to downright pity.

"You've got to stop doing that to yourself, Clarisse," he said with a sigh.

"I lost my parents, Ian. It should've been family night, but I cancelled to have pizza with my friends instead. Things could have been different, you know?"

"Some things, as crazy as they are, happen for a reason," he said. He reached for my hand, which was resting on my lap, and gave it a squeeze.

"I know," I resigned.

"Any ex-boyfriends or current boyfriends I should be worried about?" he asked. He seemed serious, but he also seemed like he was trying to suppress laughter.

"Nope, no boyfriend. Just this fake one sitting next to me," I snapped. "As for ex-boyfriends, they're long gone."

"I sense bitterness there," he said with a chuckle.

"I've been lied to, cheated on, left hanging - you name it. That's why I'm not exactly the biggest fan of your...escapades."

"Oh, Clarisse. You might have picked stupid guys," he said with a sigh.

"Excuse me?"

"You're far too good to be cheated on, or lied to, or left hanging," he said softly.

"How do you even know that?"

"I know a good catch when I see one," he replied. From where I sat, I could see him smile.

"You have to stop doing that, Ian Radke," I said, trying to sound amused but ended up sounding way too defensive for my taste.

"Doing what?" He was laughing now.

"Saying stuff like that to me or standing way too close for comfort. I'm drawing the line, Radke."