CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: CHEER UP

Start from the beginning

"What makes you think something has happened?" Marie chuckled, but not out of humor or happiness. It was a sad laugh. "Can't a girl just come here to enjoy her free time?"

"No, no," Gabriel answered. "I did not say that."

"Then what?"

Gabriel laughed, his arms crossing over his chest. "Really? You don't think that I can see past that pretending of yours? You think I cannot notice these walls you're so keen on building around yourself? We can have a discussion where you deny all of this or we can skip that and you can just tell me what happened. What made you sad?"

"Why would I tell you anything? I don't even know you," but Marie regretted her words the moment she let them out.

"Right," Gabriel chuckled and even though he didn't want to admit it to himself, he had been hurt by Marie's comment. All he ever wanted was a fair chance of having a friend, of being understood. But maybe his father was right all along. The Lightwoods were not like the rest of the Nephilim, and because of that, they were always going to be judged. "I can recognize when I'm not wanted around, so I'll make it easier for both of us and see myself out."

The Lightwood boy walked around Marie and straight towards the door, but in no time - he had been stopped. A small, delicate palm was wrapped around his wrist. It was cold and Gabriel thought that it had somehow froze him into place, not allowing him to take another step. "Please, don't. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude to you, it's just that-"

"Was it something that Herondale said? Or was it the announcement?" Gabriel asked. There weren't many people that could make the Wayland girl, but Herondale was definitely one of them; he had asked the second question just to spare himself from the embarrassment, in case he was wrong.

Marie's head snapped up at the mention of Will's name. Her mind couldn't quite understand how Gabriel managed to guess exactly who was responsible for her foul mood.

"Do you wish to talk about it?" Gabriel was nicer than Marie expected him to be. She had never got to see this new, kind side of Gabriel Lightwood.

It had stunned her, made her truly think about his offer. Yes, Gabriel is going to be her future husband. And yes, they didn't talk much in the past, but they had known each other on a certain level, not much - but it was better than nothing. The real question was whether or not she should really put her trust in his hands.

At this moment, there was no one she could completely rely on, so trying to test her luck with Gabriel seemed like an only possible solution.

"I-I, yes. I wish to talk about it."

Gabriel's lips formed a small smile and when Marie's gaze stumbled upon it, her lips did the same. It was a single moment of happiness, pure happiness. They had finally reached the point of mutual understanding and trust.

Then, the pair went to the nearest sofa (which happened to be the one next to the window) and sat down. Comfortable silence fell upon them, but not even that lasted for long.

"Look, Gabriel. What you just witnessed was a moment of pure weakness. I am not usually like this."

"Marie, it's okay. I understand it. Sometimes, the burdens that are placed on us are too heavy to bear alone."

"But you don't even know what happened-"

"Then tell me. I know that it is hard for you to trust anyone, especially after what you went through," Gabriel said, his eyes sincere. "I also know that it is truly and utterly stupid for me to mention this and use it as an excuse, but we are going to be married. We should at least try to get to know and trust each other. Maybe we had no choice in deciding whether or not we want this marriage, but we sure do have a lot of choices on how our life will look like. Our future will be bright and happy, if we truly want it to be."