CHAPTER THREE: SAVE

Let me tell you something. When a handsome and young fellow as myself comes to rescue a damsel in distress as yourself from your not⎼so⎼bright destiny, you don't tell him he is wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER THREE: SAVE

WILL'S heart was racing terribly. Ever since he had left Miss Gray's chambers, he had tried asking himself why his heart had been failing him. Was it the fear of finding his old friend in a bad ⎼ possibly lifeless condition? Was it his unpreparedness to face Marie after such a long time?

The Shadowhunter who was tightly holding onto his Witchlight turned right, not waiting for Miss Gray's instructions.

"That's not the right way," the girl announced.

"Oh, really, Miss Gray?" He raised his eyebrows. "Let me tell you something. When a handsome and young fellow as myself comes to rescue a damsel in distress as yourself from your not⎼so⎼bright destiny, you don't tell him he is wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs."

Even though the boy tried presenting himself as intimidating and scary, Tessa didn't believe that for a second. "I just want to save my friend and the way you're going is the way that leads straight to the Dark Sisters' chambers."

Will huffed before meeting Tessa's eyes. "Fine, lead the way. And hurry."

Swallowing a lump that had formed in her throat, Tessa went for the narrowing corridor on her left, meeting the moist and humid air. The heat that resided in the Dark House was intense; the air was thick, making it hard to breathe.

"Did my brother send you to find me, Mr. Herondale?" Tessa asked, her feet walking quickly toward Marie's bedchamber.

The boy said nothing.

"Mr. Herondale," she said once again, "did my brother send you to find me?"

"Never heard of your brother," Will stated, making Tessa's heart ache with disappointment. "Ten minutes ago, I didn't even know of you either. I was just following the lead of a dead girl. She was murdered and left to bleed to death a few months ago in a dark street alley. She was running from...something. There was a blade with the symbol of two snakes swallowing each other."

"T⎼That's the Dark Sisters' symbol," Tessa commented in response, gaining a look of utter curiosity from William.

"I know. A few Downworlders I asked said the same thing, which is why I am here."

Tessa was ready to make another quick question before the pair arrived to Marie's bedroom, but a loud and way too familiar voice was heard ⎼ it was Mrs. Dark.

"Oh, Miss Graaaaaay. Come out, come out wherever you are. We have your little friend."

"Oh, God. Marie⎼"

But before Tessa could even comprehend what was happening, Will seized her wrist and took off in the opposite direction of the voices. It took every little bit of his will and strength to run away; it almost hurt him knowing that he was abandoning Marie on purpose ⎼ but he knew that the Sisters wouldn't harm her. Not when there's a possibility of the other girl escaping. They needed Marie as a leverage which meant they wouldn't hurt her unless there is no other way.