Epilogue

(Four years later, Stephanie's POV, 16 years old)

I breathed in deeply, in the newly grown grass and plants of the Twilight Academy's Botanical Garden. Nightmare playfully chased a butterfly nearby, swiping at it with her claws.

"Stephanie," A voice came from behind.

"Rick." I simply said, greeting him. I could almost hear his grin.

"Finally calling me by my nickname, eh?" Derrick smirked.

"Finally not making anymore trouble, hm?" It was now my turn to return his smirk.

"It has been four years since... the Tree." Derrick murmured. "Any new thoughts on it? You know, after all those..." Derrick pretended to shudder violently. "Ominous words?"

I playfully swiped at him, Nightmare staring at us. Derrick chuckled, swiftly dodging my blow.

"As rusty as ever," Derrick nudged me. I glowered at him, but the grin was contagious.

The moment of happiness was soon wiped from my face, replaced by a frown. "What could a new era mean? Surely it wouldn't be this soon, would it?"

Derrick placed a hand on my shoulder, overlooking the lake.

"Your guesses and instincts are - usually - right. Think what your instincts tell you." Derrick advised, a corner of his lips curving upwards.

"My instincts tell me that you are going to be just as single-minded as before." I retort, grinning.

Derrick pretended to clutch his heart in mock pain. "Surely not!" He scoffed.

I gave him a weak smile, still thinking about what will happen. Time is running out and the Vanquisher is growing stronger.

"Why isn't the Vanquisher doing anything?" I wondered out loud.

"Oh, you mean the scary black powder who nearly made you cower in fear?" Derrick smirked, a teasing glint in his amber eyes.

I glared at him. "Not funny, Rick."

"Okay, okay..." Derrick suddenly turned serious. "Well, in the ancient times when all four kingdoms were still at its finest –"

"I doubt that your kingdom would be 'fine', with somebody like you happening to rule it later on." I grumbled.

"– the Vanquisher bode its time, dwelling in darkness and spreading fear like wildfire." Derrick continued, ignoring my sarcastic remark. "The Vanquisher likes trickery, that one." Derrick added.

"So how did your kingdom just happen to survive through this?" I asked.

"'Just happen'?" Derrick scoffed. "We didn't 'just happen' to survive through it! We were well prepared for the final attack the Vanquisher put up before all the kingdoms' finest warrior banded together and banished the Vanquisher."

"'Finest warrior'?" I repeated, confused. "There was only one warrior in each kingdom?"

Derrick chuckled. "I never knew you could be so dull minded!" Derrick teased. I gave him a glowering look.

"Anyways..." Derrick continued. "Yes, my ancestors banded together and used their powers to banish the Vanquisher. Ever since, there hasn't been a trace of magical blood our kingdom."

"Nevermind that," I quickly said. "Is that the only way to defeat the Great Vanquisher?"

"In legends and myths, yes." Derrick answered thoughtfully. "It has been the only way possible. Combining all four mystical powers and using them is truly a very devastating experience."