Chapter 39

"No..." I whispered softly, dropping to my knees. "No, no, no, no!" My voice got louder. "NO!"

Derrick winced. "You know, that scarred my eardrums for life. I didn't know your vocal chords could go up that high - "

I turned to face him, tears forming in my eyes. Derrick gawked, open mouthed, and quickly covered it. 

"Should I keep quiet for now?" Derrick asked through his covered mouth.

"Oh, you'd better." I said nastily. "You'd really regret it if you didn't." I quickly blinked back my tears that were forming.

Derrick nodded, and said, "I won't regret it, so I'll still be talking." He removed his hand from his mouth and started to talk.

I sighed. "Talk away, Derrick, talk away..." I turned away from him, stepping closer and closer to the huddled mass of black. I could barely hear Derrick, my heart pounding in my ears.

I could see Noah's outline clearly now. He seemed to be alive, but barely.

"Stephanie..." He croaked. "Defeat... Don't... Trust... Him..." He coughed up blood, his blue, blue eyes glazing over. Noah met his end.

"Noah," I said softly. "You were a great person, and an overprotective friend." I smiled at that part. "Although your life had to be ended by the evil Source of Power, you accomplished many things in your lifetime. I hope..." I started to cry again. "I hope that you will remember your friends, family, everyone you've met. And don't forget how much we'll miss you. Rest in peace."

A black, powdery essence floated from Noah's heart, flying higher and higher, swirling around. It disappeared into the clouds, and Noah's body faded away. I could see the puncture marks from the Source on his neck, disappearing quickly.

I felt a tender, strong hand on my shoulder. Derrick.

"What do you want?" I asked sharply.

Derrick sighed. "Being sharp isn't always a good thing, my warrior. Unless you count the times when you're fighting. During those times, it's best to be sharp." He winked, giving me another irritating grin.

"I need to go back now." I said, ignoring his comment.

"Of course you need to. It's always good to rewind..." Derrick said again, his eyes boring into mine's as I turned around to face him.

"Not funny, Derrick." I snapped as I limped away into the forest again.

"You don't need to suffer through that pain, you know... We came a long way here, and I barely even know how to get back. I'm guessing you even don't know the way back." Derrick grinned.

"Of course I d - " I sighed. "Okay fine, I don't know how to get back either." I slumped onto the ground, defeated.

Derrick sat down onto the cold grass beside me, his amber eyes staring into my emerald ones.

"I do know how to get back," He said softly. "If you'll allow me."

He held out his hand, and I recoiled away from it in disgust. "What are you going to do?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

Derrick gave me his boyish grin. "Flame-travelling." He whispered, fire dancing playfully in his eyes. "Might wanna give ol' Headmaster a little surprise..." He winked.

Intrigued, I nodded. Derrick took my hand into his, our fingers entwining. 

Suddenly, I felt as if my whole body was on fire, my ears feeling like they've exploded, and my lungs constricting. I felt as if I was dying, but in a more painful way. I squeezed Derrick's hand tighter, my knuckles getting white.