Chapter 30

My rescuer had brown hair, and... green eyes. Like mine.

"P-Peter?" I asked, shocked.

The figure nodded. "Yeah, it's me..." Peter said awkwardly. "Stephanie, you could've joined the Shadows. You would be a great service to us. Do a little training, and you'll be one of the deadliest Shadows one has ever seen. Join us."

I stood there, surprised that Peter would dare ask me such a question. "No." I said firmly. "I belong with the Twilights."

Peter smirked. "You still want to join them? Well... you'll never be one of them. You are one special thing... Just like Joshua said. Even if you join, the Great Obsidian Tree will die out. Once you become bonded to that thing, your life essence will fade away with it."

"My choice is my choice." I replied boldly.

"Alright then..." Peter said, raising an eyebrow. "Your choice is your choice... But don't say I didn't warn you."

"H-How did you get here?" I asked, a little glad that finally someone was battling alongside me. "I thought you were still in the Frozen Elf Kingdom."

"Oh, I escaped." Peter said dismissively. "And then I Shadow-traveled here. Very useful skill."

"Nice..." I said, glad to have a friend back. "Although we're still from opposite sides... Let's take down these monsters in front of us."

"Agreed." Peter answered, whipping out his silver saber.

The monsters charged at us, and the scene was overwhelming. There were tonnes of monsters, and only the two of us. 

Peter made the first move. He moved faster than the eye can see, a blur of black and the occasional gleam of silver striking its opponent. Before I knew it, a dozen monsters were already fading away. I smiled.

Then I realized that I had let my guard down. With a quick strike from a nearby mythical Scythian Dracaena, I dodged and rolled over, quickly getting to my feet. Midnight appeared in my hand, now a trident.

I lashed out at the Dracaena, who wasn't very fast on her snake-like legs, and chopped one of them right off. The Dracaena hissed and cursed.

I grinned wickedly and impaled the monster with no hesitation. She faded away into nothingness.

Suddenly I realized that Peter and I were outnumbered; we couldn't do this. The monsters just kept on coming and coming.

My trident became a balanced sword, and I ran past some small squids who had three eyes, and defeated a line of them with one quick swipe. I kept on running.

I've never moved with such speed and force that I almost ran right into a slithering eel creature, except it was ten times bigger than a regular eel. It was drooling lava which was already gathering into a puddle at its body.

It hissed and snarled when it saw me. It struck first, towards my left, which I don't usually defend a lot. Surprised, I dodged towards the right and landed, hard on my side.

I grunted and got up, brushing some dust off my cheek. Without anymore delay, I sliced the eel's head off with Midnight. Just for good measure, I chopped up the eel's body in a few quick swipes. The body quickly disappeared.

I heard growling behind me. It was a wolf; except bigger and nastier. 

"WEREWOLF!" I cried in recognition. It snarled and pounded towards me, its front claws long and sharpened. It swiped at my shoulder with such speed and force that I didn't see the attack coming. 

The pain was surreal. My shoulder was burning; it felt like it was on fire. Hot, warm silver blood trickled down my left arm. I gritted my teeth in anger.