10 | the love club

CHAPTER TEN

THE LOVE CLUB

          IT TAKES US ALMOST FORTY MINUTES TO GET TO NAHANT, BUT IT FEELS LIKE FIFTEEN

          IT TAKES US ALMOST FORTY MINUTES TO GET TO NAHANT, BUT IT FEELS LIKE FIFTEEN. There's something comforting about sitting in Bishop's Ford Focus with the windows rolled down, blasting the songs playing in the radio, and often glancing at him, stupidly wishing he'd return it, even though I know he needs to focus on the road ahead of us. He does just that, staring at everything but me, eyes hidden behind his sunglasses, and the wind blows back his hair.

          So, I sigh and lean the back of my head against the seat, listening to him hum along to the blink-182 song playing. In a stupid move, I reach out a hand towards the volume button to lower it a bit, as it's beginning to hurt my ears, but, at the same time as I do it, he mimics my gesture and our fingers brush against each other.

          He's the first to move away, either because he feels this is too awkward (my mouth grows even drier), because he needs to keep both hands on the steering wheel or because he's giving me freedom to do whatever I want with the volume and radio stations. I draw back my own hand, ultimately giving up, and decide to sit still and not embarrass myself even more.

          A quick glance to the rear-view mirror above our heads reveals the crimson flush covering my cheeks and I huff, wondering how in the world my body manages to betray me like this almost on a daily basis, even though I'm not shy. Not many people manage to have this effect on me, at least not after our first meeting, and I thought I had gotten over this after making a fool out of myself in front of Natasha.

          The same Natasha who must have told Bishop I don't date over something I told her two years ago, but I'm assuming she didn't bother to tell him about the last part. I had asked her to keep her mouth shut about it, anyway, and can only hope she has kept her promise. It would have been a dirty move, even coming from her, but I've been trying to cut her some slack lately, especially when she's not in a good place, so I want to believe in the best of her instead of only trusting her worst to come out.