X

Tap, tap, tap-tap-tap

At the coded knock, Armia bolted from under her covers and sprinted to the door. After four failed attempts to unlock it due to her excitement, she finally grabbed the doorknob and swung it open. Almost immediately, a pile of boxes tumbled over and nearly buried her. Behind them, Sain stared at the fallen boxes as if they were talking sticks.

"Great Beasts!" the younger girl exclaimed. "I'm so, so, so sorry! Let me help you--I'm sorry--please don't hurt me--I'm so clumsy and I should've watched out--"

Armia held a up a finger and the little girl silenced herself. "It's okay," she said. "I'm not hurt, and I'm there's no way I'm going to hurt you."

Sain took a deep breath. "I know. I'm still getting used to...this."

Armia was, too. Ever since four days ago when Sain had returned with a trunk of belongings that had belonged to the Archress--drawings and books and ceremonially dull blades--the two had settled into a sort of friendship. It was as Sain began leaving when Armia asked a question.

"Who are you?"

Sain had stopped and turned around. "You already know my name. I'm a servant, and...well, that's it."

"Do you have family?"

At that, the girl had noticeably flinched. "U-uh, um, n-no. Actually I do, b-but they don't know about me."

"Oh." Silence had taken over for a stretch of time, long enough for Sain to decide that their brief conversation was over and start to exit the door.

"Wait!" Armia burst out. "Can I come with you?"

At that, the little girl had shaken her head. "No."

"Why?"

"You sure do ask a lot of questions," Sain'd snapped. Then she covered her mouth with her hand. "I-I'm s-s-sorry, I didn't m-m-m-mean to get upset. I-I don't know w-why."

"That's alright," Armia said, even though it wasn't. "But can you bring in more stuff tomorrow?"

"Y-yes, I can." Sain stared at her, a burrow forming between her eyebrows. "You aren't her," she said suddenly, as soon as the silence had begun to become uncomfortable. "The Archress, you're not."

And then she left. But the next day, she arrived with a pair over trunks almost her size. The two had unpacked and Sain had left. The same thing happens the next day. And the next. And the next, until today.

"What is there to get used to?" Armia asked as she attempted to pick up one of the fallen chests. It was heavy, and took the bulk of her strength just to slide it mere inches.

"Is it really that heavy?" Sain asked.

Armia nodded.

"But I was able to carry both of these up a flight of steps. How come I can do that but you can't..." Sain's voice trailed off and her eyes widened with her revaluation. "N-n-n-no-no. T-th-th-this is imp-p-p-p-possible. T-t-th-that m-must m-m-mean... Ar-Ar-Armia, I-I-I don't fe-fe-feel to g-g-good..."

"Sain!" Armia was able to catch the child's body as she dropped like a stone, out cold like one. Quickly, Armia nudged the trunks out of the hall and closed the door before anyone else could see, never mind the fact that she'd never seen anyone walking by before. She picked up the smaller girl and carried her to her bed, where she made sure to make Sain as comfortable as possible. The poor girl was even stuttering denial in her unconsciousness.

"I-I-I o-on-only h-have one Ch-Cha-Cha-Charm," she whispered.

"What's a Charm?" Armia asked. "Sain? Sain! Please stop shaking. Sain? Sain, wake up!" But the girl wouldn't wake up and wouldn't stop shaking. She was going to bite right through her tongue, or fall off the bed, or worse.

"I'm really sorry for this," Armia whispered, before raising her hand and letting it fall against Sain's cheek with a smack. Immediately, the girl burst upright.

"Ow," she mumbled, rubbing her face.

"'Ow' is right. Look at my hand." Armia showed Sain her angry, red hand. She knew she didn't hit her that hard. "But are you okay?"

"I-I-I am now. It's just..." Sain shivered. "This isn't really supposed to happen. In fact, I-I should go."

"What? What do you mean? Don't go!"

She shook her head sadly and got up from the bed. "I'm sorry for the trouble.  And I can feel that you mean well, but please don't tell a soul about this."

"Why?"

"Please. Please, promise me."

Armia swallowed. Things have been off ever since she'd been here, but this was something different. "Okay, I will. You have my word."

It wasn't worth much, but saying it made Sain look better, relieved. "Thank you," she whispered, and walked as fast as she could out the door.

A/N: I am so so so so so so SOOO sorry for the incredibly slow updates! I haven't been feeling well at all lately (*cough*schooldidit*cough*) and haven't had the time.
Even though that's not a really good excuse 😅
But please continue reading and enjoying "The Archress"!