Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Justine's P.O.V

     I couldn't believe the chick followed me into the forest! I tried with all my willpower to stay calm as I watched the rest of the guys disappear into the dark depths of the forest.

     "What are you doing here?" I asked with a confused expression.

     Who goes into the forest at night, anyway? I mean I do,but her? Is she looking to get eaten from the Loch Ness Monster? Paha! I should totally ask her that. *Sigh* This could only be Chelsea.

     "Well we couldn't let you steal all of the fun...could we now Gothzilla?" Chelsea asked whilst she played with her fingernails. She looked up at me with a scowl, then said, "Shouldn't kiddies be in their bed by now? I'm sure Mommy won't be pleased will she now?"

     My body automatically stiffened. I haven't heard anyone mention my mother since she died and hearing it come out of the mouth of the one person who I disliked at the moment was not a plus. My heart paced so fast and my palms started to sweat. It felt like the world was closing in on me. Moments from the episode that took place on February 13th, the day before my birthday flooded my thoughts. A sudden chill swept over me and I heard mom speaking.

     "I can't do it anymore honey bunches," she said as she hugged my frail body.

     "But mom," I said as I held onto her one last time, desperately trying to keep her from getting up and leaving.

     I was so young and all I could remember was the empty contents of pills scattered on the bathroom floor. She had a razor next to her small frame, ready to slice open her wrist in an attempt to cut her vein, maybe bleed to death, but she couldn't do it, not there with me in the bathroom with her. She hadn't expected me to get home so early from school that day, but they had a tsunami warning. Everyone was ordered to evacuate.

      I came home and the door was wide open. I found it strange that the car was home cause she was a workaholic ever since Dad left and filed for divorce. The air in the house seemed cold as I walked inside, really cold and I made my way to my room for warmth in the only thing I kept near to me, my blanky. Though I was six, a bit too old to be carrying around a  battered piece of cloth, this blanky made by my mom and myself often gave me warmth and protection. I wanted and needed it at that moment because the air felt empty, void.

     Whilst making my way to my room, the light of the bathroom was on. That was so strange, so I went to cut it off. I braced myself when I went inside and found mom on the floor shaking herself, fighting to pull herself together. She looked crazy with her auburn hair pointed in all directions, blue eyes looking haunted and dilated. She kept whispering to herself, "Get it together Shaffeine" as she shook, balancing herself on her bottom with her legs hunched together. Immediately I ran to her side because I had never seen this side of her. Most of the time she never smiled and as the days from her trial in divorce court dissipitated, so did her time spent with me.

      "Mom, are you okay?" I asked as my small hands tried to find hers and intertwine.

      She looked at me with sadness in her eyes and got up. I grabbed a hold of her skirt but she tried to remove my hands.

     "I can't do this anymore Tiny. I can't," she said as she tried to move.

     "Can't do what, Mom?" I asked desperately.

     I can't she said more to herself than to me as she slowly walked out of the room. There was something in her eyes and I didn't know what it was since she turned her back on me. The only thing I picked up on was determination in pursuit of whatever it was she was about to do. After I realized my rapid findings due to my dire need in helping my mom, my mind worked double time to find something to keep her from doing the inevitable, maybe even save her from herself.