Chapter Five: Confessions and Catastrophes

Start from the beginning

Albus felt his heart slam with guilt and pain. He held onto Scorpius' hand tighter, wishing that would be enough. "Scorp...listen. I...I just—you need to understand...I...I'm—"

But Albus willed himself to stop. This wasn't the time to confess his feelings. Scorpius was in agony, grieving over his Mum. He had to give him some more time. Or maybe Scorpius was ready to hear him? Maybe this is what he needed? But Albus stayed silent, biting his lip nervously.

"I didn't like my life much without you in it," Scorpius carried on. "When your Dad forced us apart...didn't allow us to be friends because he was convinced that I was the dark cloud, looming over you...that killed me," Scorpius said shakenly, ignoring the constant fall of his tears. "It was torture. I cannot even count how many nights I spent crying over you. We both were suffering and now it's déjà vu. It's like you've wedged a mighty wall between us, and I am not strong enough to break it down. I can feel us falling apart again. I feel you growing distant with me. Is it your Dad? Has he said something again? Is he having doubts about our friendship once more?"

"It's not my Dad—"

"Then what?" Scorpius wept. "You can't stand being in the same room as me. You're cold. Heartless even, and you have the biggest heart in the world. W-w-why do you h-h-hate me?" Scorpius ripped his hand away from Albus', mopping his tears with his pajama sleeves. "W-what did I d-d-do, Albus? Tell me and I'll fix it. Is it R-Rose? I'll...I'll l-leave her."

"I don't hate you. Could never hate you. You've got to believe me," Albus said gently, trying his very best to hold him steady.

It took a few minutes, but Scorpius was finally able to hold himself together, nodding at Albus, signalling that he was able to speak again.

"Tell me. Is it her?" Scorpius snapped his eyes shut and two large tears spilled from his eyelashes. "Is that what this is about?"

"Do you like Rose?" Albus countered, feeling the sweltering, suffocating jealousy yet again find a home in Albus' anguish. "Just tell me that and I will give you an answer. I will be honest with you, I swear. I just need to know. Do you fancy her? Really fancy her?"

"I...erm..." Scorpius took a deep breath, holding Albus' intense gaze before breaking away, tearing his hands off of him. "Yes."

Albus wanted to smile, to disguise his pain with a laugh, but instead, he felt his eyes water. He was absolutely heartbroken, but he knew better than to show Scorpius who he truly was. His uttermost feelings. So, it wasn't reciprocal after all. The feelings, the burning, passionate feelings Albus held for Scorpius was one-sided—something he so deeply feared.

Albus sprung off the bed, hitching his hands in pockets of his petrifyingly disconcerting pajamas. "Great," Albus found himself saying. "G-good. Fine. Whatever. I don't—whatever," he muttered crawling into his bed whilst attempting to flatten his pillow to just the right shape.

Albus turned the other way, pulling the covers over his head, pretending he didn't notice Scorpius' conflicted, saddened expression.

"Albus, are you alright? Are you upset?" Scorpius questioned.

"No. I'm fine," Albus growled bitterly, adding an extra edge to his voice, hoping Scorpius was not able to tell that he was in fact, heartbroken.

*

"Mistress, I, I—"

"Don't call me that! What a filthy name. I will not be referred to as such!"

"I'm sorry...erm...M-Ma'am?"

"Delphi. My name is Delphi."

"Delphi, right. What would you like done with these prisoners?"