Chapter Two: Finnick POV

Five years.

That's how long this has been coming for me. Cameron Sawyer moved to my school in the sixth grade.

He was the short boy with the blonde hair and sea blue eyes. It was about the day after he moved here I knew I had to be his friend. I didn't understand then why I was so drawn to the kid. I had no idea who I was fully. All I knew is that the short blonde boy with the pretty blue eyes interested me.

And that was enough.

I made myself talk to him every day, not too sure why I was nervous. I didn't understand.

I had no idea I'd end up loving him.

My lips are on fire, but we don't deepen the kiss. We sit in a quiet surrender to each other, until I finally pull back and Cameron is sheet white. Oh god, I scared him. He's probably not even gay...

The thought that I've made a huge mistake makes me reel back in horror, not that Cameron notices.

His eyes are empty and his mind is somewhere else right now. Somewhere away from me.

That's what he wants, is to be away from me. He doesn't love me, he doesn't even like me.

Not anymore.

He's still silent, so I stand up and head for his back door. I can't even look him in the face right now.

I beeline for the row of trees behind his house, and I run through them.

I look for an escape, from the woods, from my problems, from Cameron.

My knees slam into a log and I tumble forwards, over the log and onto the ground behind it.

I don't know how I ended up here, but I found the spot. Our spot.

Cameron and I used to come out to this log and play for hours when we we're younger.

We we're wizards, cowboys, aliens, cops, and robbers. Sometimes all at the same time.

I liked to come here when I was upset, before I met Cameron. When I showed it to him, that's the day I fell for him. Up until that point we hung out every day, and I knew I liked the kid, but the day we went to the log together is the day I knew I loved him. He took my hand that day to help me over the log that I had hoisted him up onto, and I knew just by the way his hand felt in mine, that I wanted to hold his hand every day, forever.

I thought today would be the day, the day when all the pieces fall into place. The way he acted earlier to me had been a sign for me, that after today he'd be mine.

*Earlier that day*

"Making your student's do your dirty work," I hear Cameron down the hall; his sharp tone was recognizable from miles away, at least for me. I excuse myself to the bathroom, hoping to see him in the hallway. No sooner do I round the corner; a short little Cameron comes whistling down the hall. He catches sight of me and I pretend not to notice, but I feel his eyes on me.

I'd like to pretend that maybe he was checking me out or something, but let's get real.

I walk past him and finally break my will and look over at him looking at me.

I feel a blush coming on. "What are you doing, Cameron?"

He's too deep in thought about something to hear me so I keep moving, knowing he will follow me when he comes to, like he usually does. I'd like to think he follows me because he wants me too, but in reality he just follows me because he doesn't want to go to class, probably.