Lockhart To The Rescue

The next morning when Ellie woke, Poppy was nowhere to be seen. She didn't think to much of it, she thought she would be in the infirmary. That is where she spent most of her free time now. She went into the common room to see Harry and Ron. She decided to go with them, knowing they were going to see Hermione. As they reached the hospital Ellie realised that Poppy wasn't there either. Maybe she was with the twins and they were trying to make her feel better. She hadn't spoke since the incident but she did have permanently red eyes and navy hair. It confused Ellie. Her hair was back to it's usual dirty blonde state but with blue ends as she still had not fully recovered from the haunting sight. Seeing her best friend in pain like she was wasn't helping either.

"Wish you were here Hermione. We need you. Now more than ever." Harry spoke the truth. Without Hermione, Poppy was the next best thing but with Poppy in the state she was in, they weren't able to get any help from her. Ron let out a sad sigh and Harry rubbed her cold hand. He then looked down in confusion when he felt some parchment in her hand.

"What's that?" Ron asked.

"Ron, Ellie, this is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked. Come on." He hurried them. "'Of the many fearsom beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpents eye. Spiders flee before it' guys, this is it. The monster in the Chamber of  Secrets is a basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake."

"But if it kills by looking at people in the eye, why is it that noone's dead?"

"The mirror." Ellie murmured to herself before a lightbulb moment came to her (which was very rare). "No one did look it in the eye. Not directly any way." The boys looked at her in confusion. "Think about it. Colin saw it through his camera. Justin must have seen it through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick's already dead and can't die again and Hermione used the mirror." Ellie finished and the boys looked at her in amazement.

"Ellie, you're a genius!" Harry exclaimed.

"Hang on. What about Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror."

"The water. There was water on the floor that night. She only saw it's reflection." Harry pointed out. Ellie then zoned out for the rest of the conversation. She was worried. Poppy hadn't been herself and now she was gone. Something didn't fit.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories at once." Came the voice of McGonagall. "All teachers to the second-floor corridor immediately."

All the teachers were running, Snape ran the fastest for some unknown reason. "As you can see, the Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realised. Two students have been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself." At hearing these words Ellie's eyes widened in realisation. "The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts.

"So sorry. Must have dosed off. What have I missed?" Lockhart came strolling in.

"Some girls have been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last." Snape answered.

"My moment?" He questioned.

"Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Snape asked with his eyebrows raised.

"That's settled. We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are legend."

"Very well. I'll just be in my office getting... getting ready." He walked off.

"Who is it that the monster has taken, Minerva?" Pomfrey asked.

"Ginny Weasley and Poppy Roberts." At hearing the last name Snape froze. He had spoke to her just moments before and now she was gone and there was nothing he could do. He turned away to make sure that no other teacher saw the sadness in his eye. Snape however, was not the only one affected by this news. Ellie let tears flow down her face. Ginny was so young and Poppy was her best friend."

There skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever

The three friends ran into Lockhart's office to see him packing away all of his belongings.

"Are you going somewhere?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"Well, yes. Urgent call. Unavoidable. Got to go."

"What about mine and Ellie's sister."

"Well.. as to that, most unfortunate. No one regrets it more than I."

"Your the defence against the dark arts teacher. You can't go now."

"I must say, when I took the job, there was nothing in the description-" He was cut off by Ellie slamming into him with her wand pointing at his neck.

"Listen here bafoon." She began, her hair turning red and black. It was a scary look and very intimidating. It reminded the boys much of the time in Flourish and Blotts earlier that year. "That is my sister like best friend and his sister down there and you are not going anywhere until you save them." She demanded, her voice low and threatening.

-----

After a long conversation about Lockhart being a fraud they dragged him out of his office and to the girls bathroom. They then asked about how Myrtle died but Ellie wasn't listening. She was to worried about her friend. Harry opened the door to the Chamber using parstletongue and they went along through different tunnels until they got to an opening. They came along some snake skin and Lockhart fainted.

"Heart of a lion this one." Ron said sarcastically.

"Oh definitely." Ellie said in the same tone. Once she said that he grabbed Ron's wand and aimed it at them.

"The adventure ends here boys and girls. But don't fret. The world will know our story. How I was to late to save the girls. How you three tragically lost your minds at the sight of their mangled bodies. So... you first Mr. Potter, say goodbye to your memories. OBLIVIATE!" He yelled before being flung back into a rock. He hit is so hard that the cave began to shake and many rocks fell making a wall between Harry and Ron and Ellie.

"Harry!" Ron called out.

"Ron, Ellie, are you ok?"

"We're fine."

"Hello." Lockhart spoke with a very strange voice. "Who are you?"

"Oh Christ, Lockhart's lost his memory" Ellie called out. He kept rambling on about random things and was throwing a rock up and down. Ron slowly took the rock and slammed him on the head, knocking him out cold.

"Nice hit." Elle complimented.

"Thanks." They then spoke some more agreeing that they would wait while Harry went on alone.

-----

It felt like an hour when hey heard the squawk of a bird, not just any bird, a Phoenix. Ginny was holding onto Harry's waist and he was carrying an unconscious Poppy in his arms. They all grabbed on and flew out of the dingy chamber that they never wanted to see again.