*****

Monday didn't hold the same enthusiasm for Claire as it did for me. Her demeanour was gloomy, and I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with her recent breakup with Ron. Upon seeing me in my blue blouse and white skirt, she managed to muster a smile. It was evident she was trying her best, but the sparkle didn't quite reach her eyes. I understood all too well the struggle of maintaining a facade when an internal emotional storm was wreaking havoc. We agreed to discuss things further over lunch, and I was more than willing to lend a sympathetic ear.

Upon returning to Evan's office with his morning coffee, I noticed him impatiently tapping his fingers on the desk. "Rose," he began, his tone stern yet tinged with a hint of playfulness, "I need my morning coffee more than anything, yet you're always late. Are you asking for another punishment?" It was a rare sight to see Evan's playful side, and I felt privileged to witness it.

A memory of his previous 'punishment' flashed in my mind. In my haste, I had opted for a quick coffee from the nearby café instead of brewing it myself. Evan, being the man he is, couldn't conceal his annoyance at not receiving his usual cup of coffee, personally prepared by me.

He had bent me over this table that was right in front of me and....

"You're thinking about it aren't you?" He teased.

I thought about his question.

Yes! The temptation was there. But...

"I have to go." I said before running out of his office. I saw him grinning before I left.

*****

Claire and I made our way to our favorite lunch spot across the street. Despite the restaurant's usual bustling atmosphere, our earlier reservation ensured we were seated promptly. I opted for a plate of spaghetti carbonara, while Claire chose a simple slice of pizza. As soon as our orders arrived, Claire began to pour out her feelings. I offered no advice, only a listening ear. Sometimes, that's all a person needs - a non-judgmental listener. I wanted to be that for Claire.

Her heartache was palpable as she spoke of Ron leaving her and their son, promising to return from work soon. I felt a surge of anger towards him for leaving his family in such a manner. I knew Claire was facing the challenges of essentially being a single mother to Sam, but I also knew her strength. She was a resilient woman who would find a way to manage.

In a gesture of reassurance, I placed my hand on hers, "I'm here for you, Claire. I'll always be here for you." At my words, her eyes softened, and her smile broadened. We shifted our conversation to lighter topics, indulging in gossip about the latest celebrity news and sharing laughter over our own lame jokes. Eventually, our conversation circled back to our personal lives.

"Seriously, no dick is worth all this trouble." She muttered casually. Then her eyes widened slightly. "Oh, look at me talk nonsense. You were wise staying a virgin. It's not worth it." My uncomfortable shifting in my seat made her arch her brow. I didn't want to lie anymore to my best friend. It weighed heavy on my heart to lie constantly to everyone. Besides, a little truth wasn't going to hurt me.

"I'm not a virgin." I tried to sound nonchalant about it, but Claire was taken aback.

"No way! I thought you were a strict Christian. I mean no offence, Rosie, but I know you mentioned a long time ago that you were saving yourself for marriage and all that." She waved her hand in the air. I swallowed my bite before answering, taking the time to think of my response.

"Things happened. It's complicated." Vague answer but that's all I had to give.

"I can't imagine Mr. Carter being able to keep his hands off you. He looks at you like he wants to eat you whole." Lying would be easier if it weren't so obvious that Evan was possessive and sexual.