The Gardener (Part 2)

The sunlight peeked through the curtains falling on the onto the servant's outfit hung outside the sight of the door. Breakfast was already placed at the foot of his bed. his head fell back onto the pillow.

He had learned her name. Her nameThough he didn't learn much else, it was a step. A step in the right direction. Hopefully, today would take him running.  

There were three soft knocks on the door. A little girl of no more than seven bounded into the room. Her curls dangled in front of her eyes, pushed away by the blow of her breath as she stood at the foot of the bed.

"Why are you not awake?" She cocked her head in curiosity.

"Not everyone is bribed in the morning with a chocolate drink," he replied staring at the breakfast of freshly cooked eggs brought in earlier.

She gave a small shrug before climbing into the bed, slipping under the covers next to her big brother.

He looked over, "What do you want to do today?" She narrowed her eyes mulling over the decision.

"Can we take a walk around the castle? Like how we used to!" She spoke eagerly, hope eminent on her face.

"Perhaps we could," he stood from the bed grabbing the days clothes laid out for him. The little girl shoved her face into one of the many pillows allowing him to change.

"All ready!" She jumped from the bed grabbed his hand and pulling him to the nearest exit.

The walk was as expected dull, but entertaining. The little girl was at the climax of the story pertaining to forest bears and an unlucky girl captured in the beasts' cave. Another voice caught his attention.

It argued in hushed tones between two large trees some twenty feet away. The little girl was lost in her own little world, not noticing her brother had stopped and was currently edging closer to the tree line.

He made it to under five feet away. He could hear every word.

"-said I had a year. I would have to work for a lifetime if this is the money I'm receiving," Katie's voice slowly raised.

"I'm sorry dear," Mrs. O'Neil, the head housekeeper, replied, "These are the wages given to everyone." He watched as Katie stared ahead, her face washed clean of emotion. She leaned against the closest tree, small sobs racked her frame. 

"I wish I could be free,"  The whisper could barely be heard above the wind-shaken branches. A slight tug at my sleeve brought me back to the present, back to the story of little girls and big scary bears. 

                                                                                                ****

She was kneeling on the ground, her fingers working faster than he could follow. The cold nipped his chest through the thin shirt. She looked beautiful. He tapped her shoulder. 

"What do you need?" Her voice was on edge. 

"I came for a repeat of yesterday. Mind if I stay?" She dusted the dirt from her hands, pushing to stand up. 

"Will you distract me?" Her hand placed on a cocked hip. 

"I hope not," He didn't want her to stop. "Though, may I ask?" He took a step closer, "Why did you begin working here?" Her eyes fixed on the ground. 

She straightened her back, showcasing a confidence found only at the skin. "I needed the money," Her words were final. he didn't press on.

"I could ask you the same question," She knelt back on the ground. The weeds piled in the corner. "I was introduced to everyone. Everyone but you that is." His heartbeat quickened.