Chapter 24

It'd been coming on week three of Jonathan avoiding me like the plague and Marko was still being persistent as hell. As a matter of fact I was beginning to get rather annoyed.

Knock, knock.

Speak of the devil.

"Shit." I cursed under my breath, already knowing who it was.

I was about ready to not answer until suddenly Marko opened the door and peeked his head in to see me typing away furiously at my computer.

Thank God my reflexes were on point today.

Gotta start lockin' my damn door though...ugh.

"Can I help you?" I asked, cold as ever, my eyes never straying from the screen.

"Are you busy?" Marko questioned as he eased his way into my office, standing by the door as if he knew he was about to get dismissed.

"No, why?" I wondered, glancing over at him in my peripheral.

If this man wanted to...

"I wanna talk."

Oh hell nah.

Blank-faced, I swiveled my head to face Marko and quipped,

"Sorry. Suddenly busy. Rain check?"

While I was replying I was up and gathering my things to leave. I did not feel like having a heart-to-heart with Marko right now. I was still on the frustratingly, first stage of my plan that I've officially named Operation Baby Come Back and I was so not in the mood for chit-chatting.

"Michelle, please." Marko suddenly strained.

The sheer sound of desperation in his voice quickly gave me pause. I stopped mid-stride and rose to my full height in order to stare at Marko face-to-face.

I hadn't noticed before in the midst of my G.T.F.O. mode but the man looked completely run down.

Worry and panic began to consume me as I analyzed his face a little longer.

Ooo, I just knew my tomfoolery and mixed signals were gonna dredge up some deep shit and make me feel all types of guilty...

"Is everything alright, Marko?" I asked aloud, controlling my voice as not to sound too concerned.

"I just want to talk."

"About?" I questioned with a raise of my brow all the while cradling my belongings close just in case I had to make a run for it.

I listened to Marko chuckle lightly before sighing.

"Don't look so tense. I assure you, it's not about us."

What "us?"

"Then what's it about, Marko?" My growing impatience slowly seeping into my tone.

"My sister."

Wait. Marko had a sister?

"Is she alright?" I questioned before slowly placing my stuff down on my desk again.

"Oh she's fine - just obnoxious as always."

I couldn't relate.

"Sorry to hear about that?"

"My apologies." Marko suddenly scoffed. "It must seem rather silly of me to be coming to you with-"

"No, no it's alright." I intervened as caring Michelle took over. "How can I help?"

Just Neighbors (BWWM)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें