Chapter 22

Surprised, Jonathan simply grinned and leaned down to kiss me, but before our lips even touched someone cleared their throat behind us.

"'A really good friend from work,' eh?"

In an instant I was shoving Jonathan off of me as we both cast our gazes downwards, his hand finding the back of his neck to scratch it nervously.

"Daddy, it's not what it looks like." I replied quickly and nearly cursed aloud again at my second fuck-up for the day.

I could see in my peripheral Jonathan's frame as it jerked back in surprise as if I'd just slapped him across the face.

Way to go, Michelle; you're on a roll.

"Jonathan, that's not what I meant." I replied, quickly averting my attention to a hurtful looking Jonathan as I tried to cover my ass on both sides.

But so far I was fighting a losing battle.

"Do you ever mean anything you say, Michelle?" Jonathan suddenly snapped, completely shattering the seemingly romantic moment that hung in the balance.

"Now son, take it easy." My father began to intervene as he cautiously neared an angry looking Jonathan.

"No daddy, he's right." I whispered aloud, fighting back the tears that threatened to spill over at any moment. "I've been stringing him along this far - it was only a matter of time before he finally snapped." I watched as my father frowned when a tear suddenly rolled down my cheek. "I deserve this and more."

"No woman deserves to cry over a man." My father began to protest. "Especially not one who's foolish enough to make her cry in front of her father." He added in between clenched teeth as his hands balled into tight fists.

"Daddy, please." I begged and reached out to my father when I should've been reaching out to Jonathan instead.

"He's right - I should leave. Get well soon, Chelle." Jonathan suddenly said coldly and left the room without another word.

"Jon...wha-...Jonathan, wait!" I stammered out and began to cry when he didn't even turn around to spare me a parting glance.

"You deserve better, darling." My father said reassuringly as he rounded the bed and gathered me in his arms, my sobs only growing louder with each breath.

"If only you knew, daddy." I whispered and buried my face into his chest.

*****

When I was released from the hospital a few days later I was surprised to find neither my parents nor Chelsie waiting for me but Marko, a grin lighting up his eyes upon seeing me emerge from the building.

I cringed at the sunlight that streamed down on my face before squinting my eyes and giving Marko a quick once over.

He looked good - I mean really good.

"Good morning, beautiful." Marko sang as he made his way over to me and slipped an arm around my waist.

I looked up at him with a raised brow, a sudden shiver running down my spine at the heat in his emerald eyes.

"Why aren't my parents here to take me home?" I asked bitterly. "Or Chelsie?"

"I see your attitude's still in tact. Good to know you're well." Marko chuckled as he led me over to a sleek looking black Bugatti Veyron.

I watched skeptically as he opened the door for me and motioned for me to sit.

"Boys and their toys." I sighed with a shake of my head before taking the hand Marko extended to help me lower myself into the car.