Annoyance And Good Company

The first 5 hours after my 12 hour long surgery I was very annoyed. I was more annoyed than I would be for the next week of annoyances. The morning started off at three with me puking up blood. After I was cleaned up, I asked for some water. For some reason, which is still unknown to me, they limited me to one ounce an hour until about six in the morning. At about eight in the morning, life in the ICU stopped being so restrictive. I was allowed to drink water again, but due to my surgery taking place in my sinuses I had packing in my nose that inhibited my breathing. They were terrible. Whenever I tried to drink water the pressure in my head would increase and hurt me.

The nose plugs were the worst part of the entire hospital stay. They stopped me from breathing through my nose and even caused me to become dehydrated. The doctors in the ICU ended up  needing to give me IV fluids.  My mouth would get dry while I was sleeping because I had it open all night.

One good thing that came out of my second stay at the hospital was meeting Mary and Amen. They are an Amish couple with two young boys. Their youngest one was in the hospital at the same time as me with a heart defect, so I got to hang out with them. I talked with Mary about her job as a school teacher, cooking, and gardening. I really enjoyed her company. One of the most interesting conversations I've ever listened to was between my dad and Amen while they were talking about winter farming techniques and greenhouses. I hope their family is doing well.

After my second surgery I was able to do more than I was after my first. This time, I could look at a screen without my head and eyes hurting, so I spent a lot of time watching daytime children's TV and playing on my tablet. I was constantly reminded of all the tubes connected to me whenever I moved certain ways and the machines beeped and yelled at me. This hospital stay, even with all its annoyances, was significantly better than my first.