1 | Haven't You Heard...

Start from the beginning

That day I lost a friend. Not only did he give up on Jayce but our friendship. He wasn't the only one who started to give up on me.

M O N T H 3

Slowing the guys started to give up. Well, Jordan did... instead of helping he makes up an excuse to go racing. Then Alex started to go with him every other day.

"Zoe... I'm sorry but it's pointless."

"Alex... are you serious?"

"He'll get out when he gets out."

Over and over I kept hearing the words...

It's pointless.

It's suicide.

Or I'm busy.

And you know what, I actually started to believe it.

The lazy bullshit answers.

M O N T H 4

So we stopped.

Stopped looking.

Stopped caring.

Just completely stopped.

"Logan where are you going?" I question as he carries a duffle bag.

"Out."

"Wher-" before I could finish he was gone.
We started to do our own thing for a bit.

But let me tell you. Month 5, was the hardest of my life. May 15th was the day I became the leader of the gang.

THE gang.

"Zoe, slow down." Jasmine holds my arm down, refraining me from taking another shot.

"It's just for now, since Jayce is gone." Logan assured which made me scoff.

"I've never RAN a gang! I have no clue on how to!"

"It's been 5 months... besides, your gonna be a great leader. We believe in you." Nick grabs my hand looking into my eyes.

But I don't.

W E E K S L A T E R

You know, sometimes you think you have everything in your life figured out...

"Grab those ones too," I told him as he stuffs the diamonds in the bag.

And then, life hits you in the face so hard that your afraid to even get up again.

"FREEZE, POLICE!" I heard sirens outside. "Hands in the air." I let out a hesitant sigh. Knowing damn well who it is.

"Go, I got this." I told the gang and they took the back exit.

"I said freeze!"

I turn around with my hands up. I slowly take my mask off and smirk.

"Hi daddy."

Like I said it hits you in the face... hard.

"Zoe... H-How are you?"

I pick up my duffle bag filled with money. I gave him a blank stare he lowers his gun.

"Why are you doing this?"

"WHY?"

"Yes, why?"

"BECAUSE, I'm done trying to please you. Everything I do isn't good enough." I clenched my fists and I watch more policemen come in. "Just wait until he gets free... you'll regret it."

"Haven't you heard?" An officer I don't know smirks.

"John please." My dad pleaded but the officer stepped up.

"Dad?"

It's the things that you least expect that hits you the hardest.

"Jayce Calaway is dead."

I swear had ringing in my ears. My heart stopped hearing those words. It took everything I had to keep myself from falling apart.

So of course I'm in denial.

"You're lying." I look over to my dad for answers.

"I'm sorry baby girl, he was sentenced to death." I blankly stare at him for a moment. "We had killed him 2 weeks ago."

"It's in the records of you'd like to see." The cocky officer spoke again.

"I'm leaving now."

"It's for the best.... he was nothing but a criminal."

I stopped in my tracks and faced dad. Looking him dead straight in his eyes.

"Yeah well so am I... why don't you put that in your records." I spat rolling my eyes.

"Don't move or I'll have to shoot!" My dad and the rest pointed they're guns at me.

I turned my body to have my back face them. "No... you won't."

"ZOE FORD!"

"Until next time, sherif."