Broken Bonds

(Oka P.O.V.)

It looks like you're going to move on without me again. It's to be expected... hmm? 

"I heard that you're engaged."

A surprised expression appeared on Mitsuru's face as a black and orange spotted koi fish nibbled at my fingers. I stared at it's intricate pattern as I heard him stand up beside me. "Where did you hear that from?", he asked as he loomed over me with a frown. I stood up and got out of the pond. "Does it matter?", I asked as I began to walk. Mitsuru grabbed my hand. I looked over my shoulder to see a look of remorse on his face. "Where?", he said again. I could feel him tighten his grip around my hand. "Where did you hear that from? Was it Senri?" I stared at his hand before pulling mine away. His eyes widened. I turned around and slightly bowed my head. "Congratulations", I said with a slight smile. "I hope that.. you find happiness with her." And with that I walked off, leaving him there alone.

"What did you hope to accomplish by telling me such thing?", I asked out loud. Senri, who was standing around nearby, revealed himself to me. "Nothing really", he nonchalantly replied. "I just thought that it would be important for you to know." I stared at him before turning away. "Liar", I mumbled as I walked past him. "You were hoping for something else.. weren't you?" Senri chuckled. "Maybe", he sighed. "Maybe not."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Kana P.O.V.)

"Ara..?"

To my surprise, Oka appeared to be sulking. To think that someone as optimistic as her could get into a state like that. I wondered if something happened. I ran into her a little after I found Shuichi. I didn't intend to talk to her but she stopped me. I assumed that it was something involving the stones but I was wrong. It was something on a more personal note. 

"Will you listen?", was the first thing she asked me when she took note of my presence. It was mid afternoon and the clouds were overhead, casting shadows on us. I found her lingering around the other side of the city, near the ocean. We were standing on a cliff that overlooked the ocean. "Since there is nothing much for me to do at the moment", I said, "I might as well. Although if it's something involving your personal life, shouldn't you be telling this to Ciel instead?" An unhappy smile appeared on Oka's face. "That's very true", she said with a heavy sigh. "However if I were to tell this to Ciel instead, she would dwell on it. It would be troublesome." I laughed at the thought of it. "How very true", I mumbled. "And so? What was it that you wanted to say?" I noticed the smile on Oka's face beginning to fade.

"Considering how you had a seal with Shiori, I don't know if you share your memories with each other", she began to say as she aimlessly watched the birds flying around in the blue sky, "But this is about when I was still with the Nakanishi Clan. I mean, the three of us left but we're still associated. I don't know if that means anything. Either way, there was someone in that clan that I used to be very close to. We were childhood friends. Eventually, I came to develop feelings for that person. Time passed by and I discovered that we shared that feeling together. At a young age, we were engaged to each other. I was happy. However, it all changed shortly after the death of Hanae. Things became more difficult. The stress grew and began to fall behind with the training that I was undergoing. In addition to that, I found that we were slowly beginning to move apart. As much as I wanted to prevent that, it happened. Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. We didn't meet for 7 months. It became too much."

"I kept telling myself, hold on a little longer, he'll come back soon. But that day never came. That was, until the day that I chose to leave with Shiori and Ciel. He appeared that day, determined to stop me. Everyone turned against us. Even those that we once called companions. Whatever it took.. they were determined to prevent us from leaving. I wouldn't have thought much of it but that was the day that I told myself I would forget the life I had there." There was a pause. Perhaps it was due to a traumatic experience, I thought. I was right. "During one of the chases", she said after a while. "I was cornered by him and a few others. I remember that he was trying to reason with me. But at the same time, there was no point in reasoning. I found out why he has disappeared for 7 months. It was for training and it was also for.. breaking the engagement. I had heard that he had tried nothing to stop it. So when I heard, I gave up. What was the point of staying by someone who had left me that quickly? It reminded me of my parents. To feel helpless is agitating. My parents had traded me for money. He had traded me for his pride. A fight broke out and I was surrounded. When it was just him and I, I told myself that I wouldn't hold back. Of course I was lying to myself. I knew that if I fought him, I would lose." Oka shifted around and leaned against the fence that prevented you from falling into the rocks below the cliff. "I don't really remember what happened after but..."

She pulled down the left sleeve of her shirt and showed me something on her lower shoulder. My eyes widened in surprise. Slightly above where her heart was were two scars. They looked like.. bullet wounds? There were two circles that were near each other, as if she had gotten bit by something. "I ended up getting shot by someone that I used to trust." A slightly grin appeared on her face as she fixed her shirt. "She came up from behind me, taking advantage of my distress. I remember hearing him call my name, a horrified expression on his face. It was frantic. He was trying to get to me but that person got in the way. I think I was supposed to die that day but I didn't. Shiori arrived before I was shot by a third bullet. After, I must have passed out. When I awoke, I was in an unfamiliar place. Ciel and Shiori was there. When Ciel asked what happened to me, Shiori told her another story. If she hadn't, Ciel would've come to hate the Nakanishi Clan even more. She would have come to hate him. Thankfully, she never realized what really happened to me. Time passed and the three of us separated to go and overlook the things that were happening around us. For a while, things went well for me."

"Is it possible that those wounds are hurting again?", I asked. Oka slowly nodded her head. 

"I'm afraid so. Even after all the treatment I've gone through.. nothing is working."