Chapter 4 - Making Plans

Start from the beginning

"Eat and drink, victors! Today, you live to fight another day," one of the guards said. "And tomorrow who knows if it's already your last? So eat like it's your last day on earth. Which it probably is," another added.

Well, that was enlightening.

Beside me, Seth growled. For a moment there, he also looked as if he was going to throw his entire body towards the cell bars to reach for the guards beyond it and bash their heads on the bars.

Yikes. Gruesome imagery, I know.

As for me, I just ignored the comment and instead, inspected the food laid out for us.

There was bread, roasted chicken, a plate filled with various cheeses, lamb, fruits, wine, and so much more! The smell of it all filled my mouth with saliva. I heard my stomach growl and realized I haven't eaten since two thousand plus years in the future.

So I sat as quickly as I could and dug in.

Seth did the same. He sat opposite me on the small table and without any preamble, dug into the sumptuous feast. For a long time, there was silence between us as we stuffed our mouths with everything that was in the table.

I was so fucking ravenous. I guess this is what happens when I travel back in time for a long, long time. Not only did it deplete my powers, it depleted my energy as well. It was a good thing there was still some left that I was able to use in the fight.

When half of the food was gone, that was the only time we showed signs of slowing down.

I reached for a goblet and filled it with wine. Then, I drank it to cleanse my palate.

"So... Why are you here?" I asked Seth. Just for conversation sake, you know.

He raised an eyebrow. "I got captured. Just like you."

"Yeah. I know that. But you are a really good fighter. You could have escaped. There couldn't have been more than a handful of guards," I pointed out.

"True. But I was weak then. I couldn't fight the way I did this morning. Also, something tells me I'll find what I am looking for here."

He took a huge gulp of wine and wiped his mouth using the back of his hand. He seemed to realize the crudeness of the action for I saw a shocked expression cross his features for a second before he started cursing.

Hmm... There was truly something fascinating about this guy. One moment, he acted all tall and regal like a king. The next moment, he fought like the best warrior. And then another moment, he was a total slob.

Right now, maybe the slob was just because of the hunger. But there's definitely something else about him. This early on, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It's just that there's something weird about him.

"Then there's also the case of me wanting to learn more about this place. It's fascinating!" he added. This snapped me out of my thoughts about him.

Wait. Hang on. Was that just me or did his eyes flash gold for a split second there? I blinked and it was gone. Hmm. Must have been a trick of the candlelight.

"So you aren't from around here?" I asked.

"No. I came from far away."

"Me too!"

"So it's my turn to ask. Why are you here?"

I sighed. "I'm actually looking for something. And I've wasted valuable time already. We have to find a way out of here."

"I second that. I need to get out of here as well. I think I've rested enough. But getting out might be harder now. We can't just exactly fight our way out of here and escape. There are more guards now. There are even more guards when we fight again tomorrow."