How could you ? - Ch1

You look at him, how could you hate him?
You love him.
Even when you know he was a traitor, even when you know he was responsible for so much dead and suffering. Even when he had told you how he was, you still love him.
Maybe it was because you could see the pain in his eyes. Maybe it was because you know he wasn't ok. His mind was playing games with him.
One minute he was the Rainer you knew when you enlisted in the military.
That tough, passionate, loyal guy that would do anything for his comrades. The one you have fall in love with. The one that after a few month of childish flirt, long night talks, and Shy gazes in the corridor and during meals, finally had had the courage to kiss you. The one how was the first guy you slept with.
The next, he was someone else.
He was sad. Dark. In pain. It was as if in one second he felt in his shoulders the weight of all he have done.
You didn't know how to help him, even if you wanted to. Because you felt guilt too.
You were a traitor just like him. Your silence had made you an accomplice.
You love your friends, you didn't want to see them suffer, but you love him more.
You couldn't hate him because you knew that even him wasn't sure of the reason why things were this way. In the end the reality was that you were just kids when all this started. You were just kids following orders. Not sure what the right side was.
And now, you have to choose