Chapter 76 Students and teachers

Start from the beginning

***

“There’s your girlfriend,” Naruto smirked. He pointed at the sensei of the Mist team that was making her way through the crowd. He slapped Sai’s shoulder enthusiastically.
“I’m not sure what you mean,” Sai said, “I don’t have a girlfriend.“
Naruto sighed. “Stop being so boring, Sai. How are you ever going to find a girl that will like you?” 
“You did,” Sai commented, “how hard could it be?” 
Naruto’s smirk fell. “Hey!” he protested.
Sai chuckled.
But Naruto wasn’t one to hold grudges and before long he was grinning again. “Maybe we should go over and say hi again, you know, wish her student luck with his match.” 
“Yes, because that worked so well last time,” Sai muttered.
Naruto crossed his arms. “At least I got her to talk to you.” He glanced at Sai. “You just need a little push.” A devious smile appeared on his face.
“Look, there’s Taryn-sama,” Sai mentioned before Naruto could come up with another one of his embarrassing plans.
“Hn? Taryn? Where?”  Naruto leaned over the railing and spotted the girl in one of the sections of the audience. She wore formal attire, so she was probably on duty. “You think Sasuke is here too?”  Naruto asked and searched the crowd.
“I doubt it, “ Sai answered, “he wouldn’t want to draw attention.“

“Momma!” Ichiru let go of Kuro’s hand and ran up to Taryn.
Taryn smiled and swept him up in her arms. “Hey sweetheart. Did you find a seat yet? The matches will start soon.” 
“Hiro said he’d save us seats,” Kuro sais as soon as he reached Taryn.
“Thank you for watching him today,” Taryn told her former student.
“I don’t mind,” Kuro smiled.
“Why didn’t uncle Sasuke want to come, momma? “Ichiru asked.
Taryn cast her son a sad smile. ”He doesn’t like people that much, honey. Isn’t it nice of Kuro to take you?” 
Ichiru looked at the black haired shinobi with a guilty expression. “I like you too uncle Kuro.” 
“I know,” Kuro smiled and he ruffled Ichiru’s hair. “Come,” he said, “we should let your mother do her job and find Hiro.” 
Ichiru nodded and Taryn let him down. “I’ll see you tonight,” she told the two.
She watched them vanish into the crowd and focused her attention on the participants. She wasn’t expecting any trouble, but still kept an eye on the contestants to make sure it stayed that way.
She glanced at the stands where Gaara was taking his seat. The fist match was about to begin.

***

Taryn hoisted the basket with laundry on her hip. She pushed the hair out of her eyes and bumped the front door. 
On the porch she came face to face with a familiar presence.
“Naruto,” she breathed surprised.
Naruto gave her a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his head. “Heh heh. Hi.” 
Taryn smiled warmly. “It’s good to see you.” She gave him a one armed hug. And kissed his cheek. “I’m sorry we didn’t get to talk yesterday.” 
“That’s fine,” Naruto smiled back, “the Chuunin exams kept everyone really busy.” 
Taryn nodded. “Yes, that’s true.“ She caught him stealing glances at the hose and smiled sadly. “He’s in the backyard,” she said and handed him the laundry basket. She motioned towards the back of the house.
Naruto looked at her hesitantly. “You think he’ll talk to me?“
“I don’t know,” she confessed. She smiled encouraging. “Good luck.”
Naruto took a deep breath and headed in the direction Taryn had pointed. 

Taryn sighed and walked back into the house. The Chuunin exams were officially over. Before long, everyone would head for their own village again. It would ease her mind. With so many strangers in Suna, she would always wonder if another assassin was hiding in the crowd.
There hadn’t been another assault since the one where Sasuke found out he could still use his chakra, and she had full confidence in her comrades to keep Ichiru safe, but she would still feel better to have things back to normal.