Out Of The Ashes - Avala

Start from the beginning

Edan was wearing dark wool trousers and a claret shirt under a metal vest. He would have looked like every secondary guard in the castle, but a little golden butterfly pin separated him from the others, he was a knight of the order of the butterfly, a queen's knight, or in this case due to the death of my mother knight of the crown princess.

He had the typical build of anyone who had been in the teaching of captain Adalsteinn, broad shoulders, muscular arms, little to no brain cells (well at least according to me), tough his skin was spotless, I asked myself wether he was vain enough to shave every morning or if he was so babyfaced that the only thing standing out was his dark mole on his cheek.

He took a deep breath and looked at me directly before he spoke, "Keeva is gone. I looked everywhere for her, but I couldn't find her. She has either been abducted or she bolted."

He didn't took his glance of me as I didn't respond. If Keeva really had run away, why was she of importance, why wasn't he out there looking for her like a lost treasure, how was I supposed to know of her whereabouts? Being the sister of a crown princess, was more or less like being strangers with the same last name, we never have been particularly close and Edan certainly knew that.

His amber eyes looked at her inquiringly and with a clumsy insecurity of formality he asked me, "She wasn't here? She didn't talk to you? Also never during the night payed you a visit?".

I numbly shook my head, the mess of blonde hair freeing themselves of my bun and started dangling over my shoulders. It seemed like he got what he wanted and made a rapid movement towards the door that I almost couldn't comprehend.

"They are going to come and query you in the next couple of minutes, get dressed", he advised me before heading out of the door.

"Thank you for your wise counsel, Sir Duncan", I added hoping he still would hear my comment.

I slumped back into the comfort of my bed and stayed motionless. I wished I could have fallen asleep again, but my mind was contaminated by Edan Duncan on a solo action and the lack of concern I had for my sister.

.

The whole castle had fallen into turmoil. A tense calm was reigning in my chambers, people with  downtrodden voices had asked me endless questions that wouldn't help them remotely, they were being considerate, trying to spare me a little and left me alone after a while, probably thinking I needed the time to worry about being  the last remaining member of my family.

I leaned my head against the wall of my oriel window and observed endless guards combing through every place. I could see captain Adalsteinn with her red armor walking over the patio about three hundred feet under my window. Her dark hair was tied back, she strode towards a couple of guards and gave them instructions. I only could imagine the stern look on her face that made nobody even dare to disagree with her. I asked myself how many bodies Moira Adalsteinn had walked over, how much blood she had spilt to only now call herself captain.

I took my glance off the woman and riveted on my hands. There were tan, just a light sight of the blue of my veins but barley visible. I was relieved that my fingers did not touch when I put them around my wrist.

A mellow knock on my door teared me out of my thoughts. The door handle was pressed down. A sweet figure appeared, her hair was curly and she had dark skin, Lady Colia Adalsteinn had much resemblance with her mother, except that her facial features were as soft as a raindrop.

Colia never had seen a battle or had been near it, she had decided to not wear the armor, but serve the crown as a maiden, a highborn maiden, which included having a privileged life in a pretty room with a pretty sight, attendance at royal balls and education in subjects that she preferred.