Chapter XXVI: Changing

Start from the beginning

It was with him, huddled in front of the fire and blowing fireworks out of her wand for his entertainment, that Regulus found Lia, bringing with him a conversation she had been anxious to avoid.

"So," he whispered, watching Draco shoot a chubby hand out to grab the dragon shaped sparks circling around his head, "I take it your night was... productive?"

"You might say that," she acknowledged, allowing the dragon to disappear in a puff of multicolored smoke. "I had no idea you've been paying me so much attention."

Before he could respond, Lia lifted Draco into her arms, tufts of blond hair flying wildly, and handed him back to his mother.

"Walk with me," she ordered, setting their pace so Regulus had to jog to keep up.

To her surprise, as Lia was about to turn down the hall towards her room, Regulus took her elbow to steer her outside.

"I need to show you something," he murmured under his breath, just loud enough for her to hear.

Before she knew what was happening, she found herself Apparated and guided through the threshold Number 9, Grimmauld Place. His home was welcoming as ever, retired house elf heads hanging like wicked wreaths from the walls, the filthy troll leg umbrella stand, but one thing was different.

Edging down the hall, Lia ran her fingers gingerly over the charred fabric that once tied Sirius to the Black family tree. Neither his face nor name were spared. She couldn't decide whether to be happy for him or sad, because, after all, was that not what Sirius always wanted? To distance himself as much as possible from the relatives he despised?

If that was what he was after the whole time anyway, why did seeing those seared remains feel so... bitter?

Regulus pulled her away, an empathetic smile twisting at his lips.

"Mum's handiwork," he explained, though it really needed no explanation. Who else would be so... charming. "But the reason I brought you here was to talk to Kreacher."

Lia pulled a face. "You dragged me all the way here to talk to your house elf?"

"No!" he defended, looking offended, then, thinking about it, he conceded. "Well, yes, but you'll want to hear what he has to say. It's about the errand," his jaw ticked at the mere mention of it, "Voldemort sent him on."

"I'd forgotten you volunteered your house elf to his services," Lia said, looking around. "Where is that ray of sunshine anyway? It's not like him to not greet guests with insults when they walk through the door."

"That's the thing," he said, guiding her to the cupboard under the sink and opening it.

At first, Lia balked at the horrid stench penetrating her nostrils upon peering inside. Then she noticed that within the cupboard Kreacher lay nestled in a pile of filthy sheets, staring unmoving up at the ancient boiler. He didn't even look our way at the intrusion, until his master addressed him.

"Kreacher," Regulus called, gently.

The elf peered dully at them through bulbous eyes. Only after several seconds did he seem to fully come back into himself and speak.

"Yes, Master Regulus?"

"Come in out, Kreacher. I need you to tell Aeliana about the cave, just like you told me," he instructed, kindly, but firmly.