Chapter 7 - Conversations with myself

Start from the beginning

“How can that be when we are the same person?” I argued back.

“Let me explain. In my childhood memories, Markus became possessed by a demon named Pukotak. He then became infatuated with the powers I possess. I found Caden by pure accident in this tower when I was trying to escape Markus.

"I was 15 years old. We got a life bond shortly after to protect me from Markus giving me one and enslaving me.” My mouth dropped open at her words as I picked up her wrist to look at the circles of metal embedded there.

“So it’s true about me and Caden, we really will get a life bond?” I asked quietly.

“Yes, except now I’m afraid that I’ve pushed Caden too far. He wants to leave, go away for a while on his own and I don’t know what to do.” Tears were forming in her eyes and I felt devastated to think that Caden would leave us so I quickly hugged her.

“Does he know about all of what happened with this past thing with Markus?” I asked but she shook her head

“I had to go back to his past, that’s where the fireballs come into it. I was trying to get through to Markus that Pukotak was a demon so I ended up burning most of his room. Then Caden interrupted – What am I going to do if he leaves me Charlie?” She said on a heart wrenching sob that made me feel wretched.

“Alright look, I’ve only known Caden for about three or four days now but he just totally freaked out when he thought I was lost in time. He wouldn’t let go of me, in fact he almost bloody strangled me. Do you really think someone that dedicated to a person he met a few days ago would abandon you?” I asked her quietly as she continued sobbing onto my shoulder.

“So much has happened that he doesn’t know about. There always seems to be a Flicker in Time that prevents me from telling him.” She muttered sadly.

“The Flicker in Time where you know something but everyone else involved has no idea?” I asked curiously, I’ve only heard about them but never actually done one.

“If it was only once then I could probably explain it but it’s been too frequent.” She mumbled.

“Then you need to tell him some of the stuff that’s been happening. Ignore the Flicker of Time, sit him down and tell him or show him some proof. Tell him you threw the fireballs because it was one of the first things he went on about when he saw me.” I told her and she looked at me with a sad but determined smile.

“You’re right. I should have told him ages ago. For someone so young you are very wise.” She tapped me on the nose as she delicately blew hers and tidied herself up.

“Don’t let Mum and Dad hear that, they would laugh hysterically.” I told her sarcastically but I saw her flinch at Mum’s name.

“Do you have both Mum and Dad?” She asked quietly and I frowned at her, wondering what she meant.

“Of course, didn’t you?”

“My Mother Magdalene tried to kill me when I was ten and she broke the life bond with our father to join Markus and the demon.” She said it quickly like it would hurt less that way, while I just felt completely stunned.