Chapter Forty-Nine

Start from the beginning

    Waaaaiiit aaaa miiinnnuuutttee...how could she be engaged when she doesn't have a boyfriend?!

    "Hang on a sec" I stared at her in the eye as she squirmed. "You say you're engaged when you don't even have a boyfriend! Are you really joking? Because for all I know there was no guy that fancies you and all of a sudden, YOU'RE ENGAGED?!" I screeched and she flinched at the loudness of my voice.

    I immediately clamped my hand over my mouth to stop myself and sent her a goofy smile.

    She rolled her eyes at me. "It wasn't really my choice, Aria" she told me sadly and all goofiness or anything that is with me a while ago, dissipated as the matter at hand became more serious.

    "What do you mean?" I asked her as dread filled me. Please don't tell me what I'm thinking is true.

    She sighed heavily, "The company is crumbling down, Aria. My dad is desperate and mom is planning on leaving him." She said sadly and my heart constricted for her. Her dad is an awesome man, he is kind and all while her mom is...I don't know, quite bad? I mean, she could pass as nice but the fact that she's money hungry destroys it. Worse thing is, Lillian's dad loves her so much that he does everything just to have her with him.

    "As much as dad doesn't want to ship me off, he has to. I also need her, you know. She's my mom and I love her" she continued as I rubbed her back when I saw tears brim her eyes.

    "So...who's the lucky guy?" I asked trying to divert the subject elsewhere and the question brought a smile to her lips.

    "Damien. Damien Harrison"