Chapter 1: Another Day

(Alex's POV)

I walked into the office and was immediately greeted by what I had begun to privately refer to as the Magnanimously Moronic Magenta Monster. Whose real name was Thomas Jefferson.

"Ah, Hamilton. Don't you look...casual today," he sneered.

I looked down at myself. To be fair, I was fairly casual, but no more so than any other typical day. Green tank top, leather jacket, beat up black skinny jeans, and combat boots, any combination of a shirt and jeans was a normal look for me. Unlike Jefferson, the pretentious twat who strutted around looking like he was going to be invited to the Oscars. 

"Well, Jefferson, not all of us need to compensate for...little things," I shot back glancing at his vibrantly pink and expensive getup. 

He glowered and I strode past him,  smirking. Alex: 1, MMMM: 0. I made my way to my desk and pulled out my laptop, hoping to finish the report on the Sumpter case by lunch. However, before I could get started, James Madison popped up.

"Morning, Alexandra! Washington wants to talk to you in his office when you get a chance," he said, smiling at me.

"OK thanks, James. I'll go right now."

I saved the document and closed my laptop. When I got to Georges office I knocked on the door and went in.

"James said you wanted to talk to me? Do you have another mission?"

"Um no, not this time. I wanted to talk to you about your personal life," he said sitting down and gesturing for me to sit.

I rolled my eyes as I did. Washington had taken me in when I was seventeen and insisted on acting like my father.

"Alex, when was the last time you went on a date?" he asked, concern filling his eyes.

"Oh for the love of all that is good and holy, is that what this is about?" I groaned, slumping back in my chair, "To answer your question, no I haven't been on a date since Eliza and I broke up."

"Alexandra, I know you think that your love life is a lost cause. You're still recovering from John's death," I flinched as he mentioned John Laurens. He was my first serious relationship but he had been shot by a traitor named Charles Lee. George looked at me sympathetically, but he continued, "and after you and Eliza broke it off you sort of buried yourself in work, but Alex you need someone."

"I do not!" I protested, "I have friends, I have you, I'm surrounded by people who care about me and who I care about! Just because I don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't mean I'm lonely or that I need one!" 

Washington raised his hands in surrender, "OK, OK I just wanted to make sure you're alright."

I calmed down a little at that, "Look I do appreciate your concern, but I'll start dating again when I'm ready."

He smiled, "You're still a firecracker, aren't you?"

"Always have been and always will be."

"Alright, you can go back to work now," he said, "Oh! Wait, before I forget, did you finish the Sumpter report?"

I paused at the door, "No, I'm almost done though. As soon as I'm finished I'll send it to you."

George nodded and opened one of the files that were piled on his desk. I headed back to my workspace and reopened the report. As I worked, my mind wandered back to the conversation with Washington. I'll admit that my love life wasn't a complete disaster. Eliza and I remained good friends and she was happily dating Maria. But I felt responsible for John's death. After we found out that Lee was a traitor, I had added fuel to the fire by agreeing to help John confront him. Watching John crumple as the bullet entered his heart frequently haunted my nightmares.