Chapter 32: Resets

Sans leaned on Grillby's shoulder.

"where to start...." He sighed.

"How about you tell me why were you being distant with me this morning" Grillby calmly suggested.

"riiight... well um... i... had a.... n-nightmare last night." Sans admitted, his face blushing a bit with embarrassment.

"What was it about" Grillby asked, his interest peeking in.

"resets"

"Re....sets...?"

Grillby was confused.

What in the world was a reset?

"yeah. resets are like... how to explain... hmm... resets, are kind of like time traveling shenanigans, but not quite." Sans tried to explain.

Grillby slowly nodded.

"Uh-huh go on" he said.

"these resets can only be manifested by determined beings. You have to have an extremely high amount of determination to do this. The amount you'd need for a monster to do it would melt most of us." Sans went on.

"So only the most determined can time travel?" Grillby hesitantly concluded.

"it's not really like time travel. resets are composed by save files. kind of like a video game where you reach your destined location and save your progress"

"Wait- So does that mean that they.... You know.... Die... and come back to their last saved file?"

Sans looked at Grillby and smiled.

"you're so smart. that's so hot"

Grillby lightly blushed and scoffed.

"You're the smart one here. That makes you even hotter."

Sans chuckled lightly.

"but you're the one made of literal fire."

Grillby rolled his eyes and laughed softly.

"Psht... I saw this coming from a mile away. Anyway, keep going"

"okay if you say so, hot stuff. like you said, they do come back to their last safe file after their death, so killing them wouldn't work since they'd come back knowing you skills, strategies and blah blah blah.... and since they are determined beings, they won't stop until they get what they want. even if it is bringing death to us, they won't hesitate to do it" Sans picked up the conversation.

Grillby frowned in an unnerved way and grabbed a hold of Sans' hand tightly, but not to a tightness that would hurt his lover.

"That's... frightful." Grillby mumbled.

Sans gave Grillby an assuring smile and held his hand.

Grillby's feeling of fear soon was forgotten at the assurance that Sans was and would always be there with him.

Being with Sans made him feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

He felt safe when he was with him, even if had had a horrible day, Sans always made the best out of it.

Just as Grillby was about to loose himself in his train of thought, he realized something.

"Wait-. How do you know about this? Wouldn't your mind be erased along with the events after their last save if they died?"

Sans' smile dropped, and he clung on to Grillby's arm instead of just holding his hand.

"that's the problem... i remember the past timelines." He revealed, letting go of a long, sad sigh.