If Looks Could Kill ch. 6

Start from the beginning

Zach poured me another glass as well as one for Caleb and himself.

When we were done eating Zach let Raiden play his xbox while we did the project. Though he said nothing he seemed happy enough.

Two and a half hours later, Caleb and Zach were sprawled out on the couch watching baseball while I finished their project for them. My will broke when they gave me puppy eyes again. Manipulative bastards...

With a loud sigh I collapsed on the floor next to Zach's head. He kissed my head and ran a hand through my hair.

"Thank you" he said sheepishly.

"You're lucky I love you" I muttered but turned around and kissed him.

"Mmm" he sighed deepening the kiss.

"Oh come on guys!" Caleb complained and threw a cushion at us "get a room or let me join in on the fun"

"Hey the door's right there" Zach chuckled pulling me closer to him.

"Skyler!"

I jumped. Then I realizing the voice was Raiden's I ran to him. Something had to be very wrong if he was actually calling for me. My heart was in my mouth as I sprinted into Zach's room.

My gaze traveled around the room looking for any sign of danger. Fire, robbers, child molesters.. and so on. Weird how my mind came up with so many explanations but I still couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Nothing looked wrong though, I found Raiden sitting on the floor cross legged like I'd left him.

"What's wrong!" I almost cried, I knelt before him so I could look into his eyes.

"Everything okay?" Zach asked from the doorway I hadn't realized he'd followed me.

"Raiden what's wrong?" I asked again. His eyes flickered to Zach, I looked at him over my shoulder at him "can we have a minute?"

Zach nodded and shut the door behind him.

I looked back a Raiden eyebrows raised.

He dropped his head and from behind he pulled out the controller.

The joystick was broken.

Raiden started sniffling "I... did... not mean it."

I set the controller aside and pulled him on my lap. He pressed his face into my neck and began to sob. I murmured words of comfort and stroked his hair. I knew we wasn't only crying about the controller though.

He was in a country he didn't know, speaking a second language and moving in with strangers. That was a lot for a nine year old to take in. I cradled him in my arms, my protective side wanting nothing more than to shield him from the world.

Someone tapped lightly before coming in. Zach came and sat next to me. He looked at the controller and raised his eyebrows.

"I'll buy you a new one" I told Zach.

Zach chuckled "are you worried I'm going to be mad?" he asked Raiden and his back soothingly "don't worry about it, things break all the time."

Raiden continued to cry.

"You know I think it's time we go home. Besides Raiden hasn't been there yet."

I got to my feet still keeping Raiden in my arms.

"Want me to take him?" Zach asked following me out of the room.

"Nah, I'm good but can you grab my keys and bag?"

Zach opened the doors for me, I placed Raiden in the car.

I searched my purse and pulled out a $50 "that should be enough for a new one right?"