five

Vernon found himself back in the school again, wearing a dark green turtleneck that Seungkwan had bought him for Christmas almost a year ago. 

He had finished his third class and decided to go to study hall, so he could review the notes Seungkwan gave him before his test. He had reviewed the night before, but he wanted to make sure he got in about thirty more minutes of study time so he could be truly prepared. 

He walked into the assigned classroom, where he found Mingyu already sitting in the classroom, along with six other students. Mingyu looked strong and intimidating to most anyone, but to Vernon, he was just a tall beanstalk who tripped over his shoes before a basketball game and spat while he talked to people. 

Out of all the seven large two-seater tables in the room, Mingyu chose to sit where Vernon usually sat, which irritated Vernon. Vernon did not have a big grudge against Mingyu, but he knew that Mingyu knew that he was sitting in Vernon's favorite seat, the one next to the window since Vernon liked studying with natural light. 

Vernon sat behind Mingyu, near this girl named Rose that he shared his next class with. 

Rose was a dark-skinned girl from Belgium. Most people did not speak to her when she arrived sophomore year, mostly because she had been struggling with English, but Vernon was nice enough to use his little French and welcome her properly. Now that her English improved, Rose was open and sweet to everyone, especially Vernon. 

"Hey," Vernon smiled at her when he sat. 

"What's up?" Rose responded. "Ready for the biology test?" 

"Yeah," Vernon nodded, "Seungkwan helped me out, and now everything's much easier to comprehend now.

Vernon watched as Mingyu leaned into his chair and exhaled loudly through his nose, before slouching forward and doing his homework again. Vernon scrunched his eyebrows at the gesture while Rose laughed at the face that he made. Rose obviously had no idea that Mingyu and Vernon were in an awkward predicament because of Seungkwan. 

"Did you eat breakfast?" Rose asked,  bending to the side and picking up a brown paper bag, "I have some cupcakes! Would you like some?" 

"Some? I can have more than one?" Vernon asked, wide-eyed. 

"Of course, they're a little on the smaller side, so you can up to four if you would like," Rose answered, "I have chocolate and vanilla.

Rose pulled out the cartons of mini cupcakes and put it on the table in front of Vernon, allowing him to choose which cupcakes he wanted and eat. 

Rose and Vernon ended up talking for up to fifteen minutes, about favorite music, movies, and even talked about their summer plans, despite the fact it was still winter. It made Vernon feel more comfortable and happy. 

"I'll see you in class," Rose told Vernon, "I'm meeting my friend in her class to give her back her calculator before her test." Rose waved and turned away, the paper bag full of cupcakes in her hands. 

Vernon looked at the room, realizing that the room was empty except for him and Mingyu. Finding it awkward, Vernon got up, picking up his binder and water bottle before pushing his chair in and taking a few steps away from the table. 

"Vernon."

Vernon stopped, turning to look at Mingyu, whose face was still immersed in his books. Vernon waited until Mingyu lifted his head up and looked at him in the face. 

"Sit with me." 

Vernon sighed, pulling up his sleeves a bit before sitting in the open seat next to Mingyu. Mingyu turned his seat and faced Vernon, giving him a straight face. Vernon ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled. 

"What do you want, Mingyu?" Vernon asked. 

Mingyu scoffed, running his tongue over his teeth and looking away from Vernon in disbelief. "I can't ask you to sit with me?" 

Mingyu looked at Vernon innocently, almost making Vernon regret talking to him so rudely. However, Vernon knew that Mingyu wouldn't just ask him to sit with him out of nowhere. Nobody really spoke to Vernon unless they needed or wanted something from him (aside from Rose).

"Why did you want me to sit with you, then?" Vernon asked. 

Mingyu's eyes were downcast, as he tapped his pencil on his desk. "Are you planning to move on from Seungkwan?" 

"Not right now," Vernon answered, "why does that concern you?" 

Mingyu shrugged his shoulders, looking into Vernon's eyes. "It's kind of hard to make a move on Seungkwan when you keep pestering him. Think you could slow it down a bit?" 

"So, you called me to sit down with you--" Vernon leaned forward, until his face was only a few inches away from Mingyu's" --to tell me to leave Seungkwan alone?" 

Mingyu only blinked. "You and I know you heard me clearly. The only thing messed up with you is your missing limb, Vernon." 

Vernon could have killed Mingyu if he knew he could get away with it. When Mingyu noticed the long pause between them, he spoke again. 

"You're making Seungkwan feel guilty for not remembering your relationship when he really wants to be in a relationship with me, and I'm not a fan of that. He and I already went out to eat, went to the movies, I even took him shopping, but every time I try to make my move, he says 'But Vernon still loves me' and 'I'm not ready' and even 'Mingyu, let's go slower, for Vernon's sake,'" Mingyu explained, mocking Seungkwan's voice as he spoke. Vernon knew Seungkwan hated when people mocked him, and it bothered him knowing that the person that could potentially be Seungkwan's next boyfriend is talking about Seungkwan like this. 

"I'm going to give you a warning," Mingyu said, giving Vernon a small smile. "Don't talk about the past with Seungkwan, and pretend you're moving on. He's not going to remember your relationship together, anyway, so let him be happy with someone who he actually loves. Don't you want the best for him, Vernon? For him to be happy?" 

"There's nothing you can do that will ever make me move on from Seungkwan," Vernon muttered, "and there is no way Seungkwan would ever date someone who is as disgusting and low as you. Fucking kill yourself, Mingyu."

Vernon got up from the chair, pushing him into Mingyu's legs before walking back to the door. 

"I'm the reason you have that piece of plastic for an arm, Vernon," Mingyu chuckled, "you really don't think I can keep you quiet?"

Vernon grabbed the doorknob and stopped because he could feel tears forming in his eyes. 

"Watch what you say and do with Seungkwan, or you might even lose your other arm, too."

Mingyu walked up to Vernon and smiled while bending down and speaking into his ear. 

"Don't mention any of this to Seungkwan, alright, Vernon? Be a good boy and act natural." 

Vernon pushed the door open, running out of the room before Mingyu could see him cry.